Great company

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Co-workers are very nice and professional. If you like selling it is a great place to work. Opportunities for management are very obtainable.

Cons

Retail holiday hours can't be avoided, but sales opportunities are great during the busy times.

Advice to Management

Don't over staff the sales floor. The right amount of people in a department leads to success for all.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great opportunity for pay and wonderful experience ~ top notch customer service

Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Counter Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, products, return policy (makes it easy to perform good customer service although it hurts at times to get some of those returns against you or your dept), discount especially if you are a Pacesetter (33% off), cheerful environment, great dept manager in cosmetics.

Cons

Lack of Life/Work Balance
    Schedule ~ close in the evening then open the next day.
    Cosmetics ~ constant events and your customers get tired of being called for everything
    Vacation Blackout ~ be prepared to not take any time off either before/during an event which is constant, and October through early January which prohibits you from visiting family during the holidays.
    Parking off-site during the Christmas Holidays is dangerous. This is a mall requirement but it's ridiculous. Designate a safe parking lot with constant shuttles and monitored by safety personnel.

Advice to Management

The biggest thing that is missing at Nordstrom is the work/life balance. Although many of us were paid well (and I left at the top of what I made anywhere), I felt like I had no life. One full weekend off a month would be helpful.

2. Great!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Troy, MI

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if you are not lazy. Not every day is perfect and you have to work hard.

Cons

Some people are sharks and will steal sales.