Nordstrom

www.nordstrom.com
  www.nordstrom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

One year freeze on wages, no chance on getting a raise for a year.

Current Employee - Line Cook in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Line Cook in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Benefits and discounts are nice. Its pretty easy to transfer. I got promoted pretty fast.

Cons

They put a freeze on wages for the next year that is company wide. As a cook I am looked down upon by sales department. You have to deal with a lot of arrogant rich people. People that have no experience restaurant are the senior management so they have no idea what they are talking about and think they are judges on top chef. They senior management use negative reinforcement on the lower management and it trickles down to the employees.

That negative reinforcement dose not work. That you need to think of employs as an investment. That when you promote someone you should give them a raise too.

3069 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

People first!

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

At the end of the day, the company wants to be profitable, but I never feel like Nordstrom does that at the expense of its employees.

Cons

Just like all of corporate America, I'm always concerned if I am being compensated for my skill set. I know of someone who was the same position as I was, had less experience, but was making 10K+ a year more than I for no apparent reason. That is a mistake I think a lot of companies make and it just isn't the smartest thing. That is why you have guidelines.

Make sure people are qualified for the opportunities you give them. Just because someone has been with the company for x many years doesn't mean that they deserve the promotion/opportunity. Maybe the boss they had didn't promote them for a reason. NEVER promote someone to a position as a manager if they have never done that job. You want someone who knows the job inside and out. It makes the employees feel insulted when they could do a better job than their boss. Continue to reward employees as you have in the past. It creates a morale that can easily be destroyed.

Best company ever to be recognized for excellent results

Current Employee - Headquarter Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Headquarter Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Empowerment, rewarding a job well done, real people who care about each other. You get recognized for doing a great job - and the job is what you make of it.

Cons

Retail hours - but if you work in retail, why work anywhere else but Nordstrom?

Stay focused on our customer - continue to act like a small company as much as possible.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom