There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Great atmosphere if your dept is high volumn

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can grow within the company and go into other departments

Cons

If you do not make your numbers then life and getting hours can be tough

Advice to Management

empower and motivate employees, plan for events such as treandshow and such carefully to avoid complications

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

Its a great place to work if you don't plan on having a life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I guess they promote from within.. that is if they like you.. and if you make your numbers forget about it.. they don't want to lose a great player!! You determine your business.. pretty much you stalk your customers because you always need appointments. You can make different goals to make more money..

Cons

The RETURN policy. What a joke that is. We honestly should be a re-sale shop, or rent for a day store. Because you literally could buy an outfit and wear it to a wedding and come back the next day and return it. Always for CASH.. thats really fair... not!! Our Customer Service is going downhill because they are hiring these horrible people that don't have an ounce of customer service that disrespect our customers.. & the best part the managers keep them on because they sell well. and they are just too lazy to find someone else that would represent this business better.. Making us open all these Accounts and if you don't you will literally be stalked. Literally!!

Advice to Management

Micro Managing is NOT management. Treating your employees like they are little kids when half the time we are older then you. Is not working. Constantly pressuring us to make appointments and all this other stuff we have to worry about is not going to want us to jump on it. Honestly I think they need to put some people undercover to see how these managers treat us. Or maybe thats how they all are. When I first started with your company it was wonderful and we all loved coming to work. Now its like we have a black cloud over us and we feel like robots, which makes it not fun anymore. All the good people are leaving and its just sad. I love what I do and making my customers feel special, but I don't like how i am treated!! With that I really think you should really get to know who you are putting in your stores as a store manager. Even if you need to put someone undercover just so that they can report back to you about how the store is being ran. We are all worried about our Jobs on a daily basis. & it should never have to be like that. We should enjoy what we do.

This was a decent experience with terrible pay.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment was inviting and they really made you believe that they wanted you to succeed. You felt like a business owner.

Cons

I was the owner of a terrible business. The commission structure was that of unyielding. You would be lucky to make an honest wage by the end of the month... only to have it snatched away, compliments of the liberal return policy.

Advice to Management

Don't share the dream that you could potentially make big bucks because that is a big lie.