There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

I loved working at Nordstrom

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate  in  Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discount; working with the customers. Nordstrom pays commission and I earned a lot more than I thought I could in retail. There is room for advancement. Nordstrom is very good at providing motivation to do your best. Nordstrom is a great company to work for.

Cons

The hours are hard because it is evenings and weekends. When customers return items you sold them, that commission gets docked from your pay. It's too easy to spend your own money on the clothes. It can be competitive because it's commission.

Provide your department managers with management training. If it's possible, try and rotate weekends off to help with work/life balance. Most families are home on the weekends and that was the reason I had to leave, because it was too hard to see my family.

2734 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

I was totally mislead

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really liked my coworkers, 20% discount, helping a great customer was super fun - like shopping with a friend, great Assistant manager

Cons

What they don't tell you is if you are not a great salesperson you will make about $9 an hour. They tell you $18-20 - not even remotely true. Some departments were very well run, mine was overstaffed and a revolving door. They also do not explain the return policy will greatly effect your day. When $500 is returned under your number, you are negative that amount and must make it up before you begin making commission. The boss was very disingenuous and offered only the corporate stock answers on how to improve your sales, not actual tangible advice. She was also 21 or so and had no real life experience other than retail so her ability to make thoughtful strong decisions was reflective of her age and level of professionalism - high school level - at best. Don't ever tell someone a decade older than you that you hope they learn a lesson from your management skills - you have a lot to learn outside of the retail bubble.

Be real and tell us what the good and poor salespeople make- wouldn't have taken the job had I known. Your lack of honesty caused me great financial and emotional stress over 4 months. Be thankful, appreciate that good salesmanship doesn't happen over night - pay your staff a living wage while newbies to retail learn the ropes. Be directive and follow up on scores of complaints about poor management, when the whole team is complaining and quitting (15 quit in 4 months) that is a red flag about management. When promoting someone so young, ensure that their maturity level is up to the task, many of their staff might be a great deal older and more experienced than they are and having a strong, fair, reasonable person on the team is better than some fake cheerleader who can turn on the syrupy voice for customers and then turn around and discuss her love life with the intern like a teenager. I felt mislead and neither HR nor management cared the least bit that I had been told erroneous information on how much I would actually make. I got the impression from dozens of sales people that they had been told essentially lies about their paychecks. I thought I would try something new, and while I may not have been a great salesman, I was a great employee, fantastic with customers, helped out when no one would and am an extremely intelligent college graduate with real career experience .None of this makes any difference in your company, it's all about turn and burn to make money at other peoples expense. I will never ever work retail again. Never.

well oiled machine

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

training is thorough so that employees represent the brand and meet the customer service standard, all employees start at the bottom and work up the ladder, employees are given a lot of freedom to make decisions, assumption is that you will make the right one.

Cons

commission system is not perfect, you can spend hours making a sale, and have a customer come back the next day and buy from someone else, or have someone come back to exchange a size or color when another associate is there and they take the sale. have to be a bit of a shark.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!