I loved working at Nordstrom

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA
Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount; working with the customers. Nordstrom pays commission and I earned a lot more than I thought I could in retail. There is room for advancement. Nordstrom is very good at providing motivation to do your best. Nordstrom is a great company to work for.

Cons

The hours are hard because it is evenings and weekends. When customers return items you sold them, that commission gets docked from your pay. It's too easy to spend your own money on the clothes. It can be competitive because it's commission.

Advice to Management

Provide your department managers with management training. If it's possible, try and rotate weekends off to help with work/life balance. Most families are home on the weekends and that was the reason I had to leave, because it was too hard to see my family.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Underwhelmed by the anti-innovative leadership

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great reputation, great products, great service

Cons

Low salaries, negative attitude toward non-sales positions. A dichotomy exists within the company between the floor staff and the leadership. Nordstrom is run by a family that pretends anyone could rise to their position by selling merchandise. Not true. They speak of financiers and marketing professionals as though their roles are useless and unimportant. Negative attitudes toward the leadership of tomorrow. Wake up kids, Nordstrom needs more than just a sales force to grow!

Advice to Management

Recognize that living in fear of international growth is childish and embarrassing. Grow up little Nordies brothers or hire someone else with the balls to look to the future instead if living in your fathers footsteps, dreaming of 1901.

2. women's clothing commission

Current Employee - Salesperson in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Salesperson in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice people, discount, clean, great benefits, safe environment. Opportunity to build clientele and to make money if you are in the right department and if you are passionate about what you sell.

Cons

other sales people steal your customer, no one has your back, managers are all talk and no action. Returns are huge. High sales goals even if you are the newest on staff and get the worst hours. Constant pressure to perform.

Advice to Management

Take care of your best employees. I was bullied by another employee and my manager knew it and did nothing for me. I quit.