There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Best Company and Learning Experience Ever!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working at Nordstrom when I was 16 as a stock girl. Although it was not the most glamourous job, I learned a lot and gained appreciation for the behind-the-scenes tasks that need to be done in order for the store to function. Then I progressed and became a Cashier in BP which is a high schooler's dream. Now, 5 years later, I am a seasonal Sales Associate in the Rail. I love the experience I have had at Nordstrom. The commission-based salary is very motivating and makes you feel accomplished when you open that pay check and know how had you worked for that money. The majority of the employees are very pleasant to work with and management, for the most part, has met my standards. Overall, GREAT company! My loyalty is always with Nordstrom

Cons

Sale set-up and inventory are a drag. Also, as an employee, the Anniversary sale feels like it's never ending, but it's a great paycheck boost and at 2PM on the first day you can finally reward yourself from all your hard work during pre-select. No cons, just bitter-sweet aspects of the job!

Advice to Management

Make sure management is qualified for the position rather than "brought-up" by someone of a higher position. Also, make sure that outstanding management is recognized and rewarded.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A great place to grow and learn.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Beachwood, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Beachwood, OH

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to grow into new positions and use initiative to find out what I wanted to do in this career.

Cons

The job is in retail therefore you must be ready to handle customers and their demands. Additionally the hours are not a typical 9-5 schedule and you must work weekends

2. Internal, non-sales staff a challenge

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, pleasant work environment, non-stodgy corporate culture.

Cons

Being an administrative employee who couldn't contribute to sales revenue, I don't believe I was a valuable person to the company: there was no hope of any sick nor vacation leave. If I couldn't work, I didn't get paid.