Nordstrom

www.nordstrom.com
  www.nordstrom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

It was a great learning experience despite the horrible leadership

Current Employee - Department Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Department Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great reolaction packages, opprotunity to grow, commision sales

Cons

Managment does not listen to the people they directly manage all levels, people are often promoted based off who they know not off merit, company has an overall "mean girls" vibe with eveyone looking to get ahead by making others look bad. Pay is not comperable to others for the work load.

Listen, Listen, Listen... I would also reinterview eveyperson who has ever worked with Pari Sanayei who is still supported as a leader, despite her poor leadership.

3069 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

Horrible retail job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

pay is better than most other retail stores, get discount on merchandise

Cons

The company is becoming increasingly cheap. They keep cutting hours despite making a profit. Meanwhile they put even more pressure on you to provide customer service and still somehow keep the sales floor neat. Promotions are based on pure favoritism, seen inexperienced people hired and less than six months later become a manager, meanwhile I've been there for years. Also, my current store manager has the attitude that she needs to clean house and bring "her people" in. Also hours suck, they vary from week to week (anywhere from 30-40), have to close all the time because managers don't want to.

At some point cutting hours will backfire because the more hours you cut, the less customer service that is available. Also, less people means a messy sales floor. If I can't locate things on the floor, neither can the customer. Finally, stop promoting incompetent people to management just because they are yes men, people who are willing to give you constructive criticism make better managers.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, nice employees, make alot of money on commission depending on the department, health benefits, 401k

Cons

Discount is a little skimpy (20%), long shifts (it kind of becomes your life), returns

Do more contests to encourage employees to sell more

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom