There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Great company to grow up in & grow with.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nordstrom values your work ethic and potential more than having a particular degree. If you are passionate about what you do you will quickly move through the ranks.

Cons

none I can think of

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, great people. Very friendly environment.

Cons

Management roles require extensive dedication in several area and although you put all your effort forth, sometimes it does not pay off in the end. The commission based salary does not make up for the work that was done while not on the sales floor.

Incompetent Management

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

LIked my co-workers, fun, tight-knit group--almost felt like family.

Cons

Technology department had lots of room for improvement--environments constantly down, a lot of work was offshored, management spent more time at lunch engagements than working, I was hired as a contract worker to do a project that got scrapped based on a new direction they were going with their budget. All other contractors got cut early due to poor budget planning and the fact that managers prioritize lunch dates over strategy and managing. Offshore was screwing Nordstrom financially as not much work was ever get accomplished. Every day it seemed like their were issues with Infofys, though management couldn't see through this and gloated about their performance. Many of the people they sent onshore were incompetent as well. Lack of cross functional communication amongst teams which led to issues with software integration. I'm surprised the site functions so well with the poor management in IT. If you have ambition and don't want a tarnished reputation, go to another company besides Nordstrom for an IT career.

Advice to Management

You can't have a baby in one month by hiring 9 people. You need to course correct based on a realistic plan.