A good stop-gap on your way to a career

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate  in  Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the freedom to influence my own pay through hard work and building a solid personal customer base. The most rewarding part honestly was helping people look their best, especially people who rushed in last minute and were able to leave ready for their activities for the evening, with a smile on their face.

Cons

The workforce consists of ultra-competitive people because of the personal influence of money, and the drive to exceed LY. While competitiveness isn't a bad thing, the motivating factors drive everyone to neglect non-selling duties and fight over commission. The lean times drive a few employees to unethical behavior.

I know that the numbers are important because they allow everyone to keep doing what they're doing, but not punishing bad behavior just because it comes from a strong performer creates a toxic environment, and reinforces the offender.

Other Reviews for Nordstrom

Its what you make it

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

control your own business and salary. opportunity for growth and to move up. great health benefits.

Cons

long hours. demanding schedule. high expectations of sales regardless if its busy or not.

Great fashion retailer, but you won't be able to make a living.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nordstrom is one of the leading fashion retailers and carries a wide selection of fantastic brands. Employee discount is relatively nice, but not that high. The best time to use it is when they increase it in December for 2 days to the next tiered discount. A lot of the employees are pretty great, but management and anyone salaried all seems to live in some sort of cult world and can be pretty dumb and rude.

Cons

You are basically hanging out at the mall for free. You are not being paid for the amount of hours that you put in. Every, single time a customer returns something that they bought from you the money gets taken back out of your paycheck for up to a year from the purchase date. Retail hours are not fun, but that was a given going into the job. Management can be pretty dumb. My manager only truly cared about 'making the day' in sales versus my own professional growth as a sales leader.

If you want to have that kind of return policy, which from the side of a customer, really and truly is great - don't punish your employees for it. That isn't fair to them and the reason that they are returning it has nothing to do with the employee.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!