There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Loved working in a diverse environment

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Nordstrom part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You always get to meet new people who come into the store. There are a lot of employees which makes working at such a large company nicer because you get to know people in different departments.

Cons

The hours are long. It is really hard to have a flexible schedule. During sales you are working ridiculous hours. You are never allowed to sit.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work

Former Employee - Buyer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Buyer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to move up. They promote from within, so if you are mobile and motivated you can go far.

Cons

There isn't a lot of work life balance in merchandising jobs. There wasn't a lot of specific corporate messaging on what a balanced work/life looks like, so it's left up to individual manager interpretation. A lot of balance is dependent on who you work directly for.

Advice to Management

Look at the scope of jobs by factors beyond volume-- travel, complexity (ie. # of depts, classifications etc..., suppliers, employees) The more you can streamline each role, the more successful people, and in the end, results will be.

2. Very good summer retail job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For a summer job, I was very pleased with working at Nordstrom. They were very accommodating of my needs as far as my timeframe. I was happy that I was able to work full-time and their compensation is pretty competitive. Working for commission meant that I was in control of how much money I made. Also, the job was far more interesting and engaging than other retail positions at other companies.

Cons

Some managers were incompetent and blamed the problems on the employees instead of fixing things themselves. They claim that they only promote from within but mobility is not as easy as it sounds.