Great transitional company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Walnut Creek, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great team to work the floor with
-Flexible hours
-Employee discount
-Fun "office environment"

Cons

-Working weekends and nights
-Return policy is too lax
-schedule hierarchy

Other Reviews for Nordstrom

Great place to kick start your fashion career

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nordstrom is a great name to have on a resume and in my experience, human resources really focuses on helping you grow within the company.

Cons

In sales, the hours are often cut back and there are definitely some slow times which is difficult when trying to save money.

Management is generally great as long as they continue to work with their employees and help teach them and grow.

The company is evolving.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have worked for Nordstrom as a sales person and as a manager.
    As a sales person:
    Pros- flexible hours, potential to make great money (for retail), decent insurance, decent benefits, work with good people, generally a great work environment can get promoted to manager quickly. They only promote form within.

As a manager: if you are movable and transferable the sky is the limit with Nordstrom. With so many racks opening across the us and Canada you can move up very fast, as a manager you have a direct impact on your depts. business.

Cons

As a sales person: the return policy is horrible if you are a sales person ( great for the customer). The discount is a joke. I see a lot of favoritism between managers and sales people.( get on the managers good side. Get better shifts, time off requests..)

As a manager: you are married to the store, hardly any selling time ( more meetings, reports, pre-sale...) the salary is bad but that is because you are supposed to be selling ( we are selling managers) but you can't sell because you are doing a million other things.

The best job as a manager would be an asst manager in one of the ready to wear depts.. You get a salary, good selling time on the floor and not a lot of stock work. I made the most money as an asst manager.

The mobile PoS is a disaster at the store level. I won't even talk about the return policy because I know that will never change. You need to increase the discount, it's the lowest of all the high end retailers...if you want us to be "fashion roll models" then we need to be able to afford the clothes. Commission need to be raised from 6.75% to something higher.

When I first started working for Nordstrom in the early 2000's I felt like they put the customer first but the employees came a close second. I don't feel like that now. I feel like the customer is still first(as it should be) but the company comes in second followed by the employees a distant third.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!