Nordstrom

www.nordstrom.com

Gained valuable customer service, management and training tools.

Department Manager (Former Employee)

ProsYour customers! Amazing clientele, you get to know every aspect of their life! Great opportunity to move up considering they promote from within. Started as a sales associate and moved my way up to department manager.

ConsBarely a work/life balance. Sales goals were hard to reach for my department and was got a lot of pressure from upper management. It is commission based for your employees so if sales were low, this created turnover. My position was cut due to something they called "going into neighborhoods." Eventually the whole neighborhood idea ended up being a bad idea.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just "call someone to the office" when you are planning on yelling at them. Tell your managers when they are doing a great job and when they need to work on things. Don't overwork your managers. Sometimes they are working 12 hour days to hit half yearly sales goals that are through the roof. Take a look at the economy for once.

Hard Work Pays Off

Personal Stylist (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros: Very easy to get promoted. You make friends with co-workers.… Cons: Returns. Sneaky/unfair co-workers. Blackout months. No weekends off unless requested. Advice to Senior Management: Something about vacation and returns. It's not fair that if we go on vacation for a week, we can't… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great transitional company to work for

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros: -Great team to work the floor with -Flexible hours -Employee discount -Fun "office… Cons: -Working weekends and nights -Return policy is too lax -schedule hierarchy Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Nordstrom.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!