Nordstrom

www.nordstrom.com

Nordstrom

Current Employee - Line Cook  in  Edison, NJ
Current Employee - Line Cook in Edison, NJ

Pros

Part-time benefits include 401k (and even a contribution/match), paid time off, paid holidays, and decent pay. Good opportunities to network and meet many people. Overall laid-back and professional environment.

Cons

Quite a bureaucratic place to work - not exactly easy to enhance your career unless a manager favors you.

Managers shouldn't pick favorites or disregard talent/hard work. Our store manager was quite pompous, undiplomatic, and not very bright.

Other reviews for Nordstrom

Fast paced, exciting

Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Bethesda, MD

Pros

The benefits were great, pay was good and every sign pointed towards a strong likelihood for upwards mobility.

Cons

Incompetent coworkers, cumbersome HR. Too much focus on putting on a good face rather than getting real business done.

Skip the silly pep rallies, we're adults, and let us get back to work.

Horrid Experience!!! BEWARE!

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

Pros

-Good ambience at work
    -Clean&aesthetically pleasing
    -Nice merchandise
    -Employee discount

Cons

My coworkers were truly some of the worst people I had ever met. Glassdoor really steered me wrong on this one. I had heard nothing less than spectacular reviews about Nords as an employer, so I was obviously stoked when I got the job in the dress department.

I originally applied for an hourly position in the bridal suite. However, I was offered a commissioned sales position in the dress department instead. This was fine by me because I had worked commission before for years. It turns out that the bridal department was not supplied with a working computer or register, so they were always taking ours. This was seriously inconvenient to customers as well as employees.

Commission only makes it a hostile environment. There are billions of tiny tasks unrelated to sales such as answering calls, doing inventory, tagging, markdowns, cleaning.. the list goes on forever. You even have to take time out of selling to move merchandise into the downstairs shipping area/ receiving docks. All of this is absurd only because there is no hourly compensation. So your day is only half selling and half department chores and tasks. It also causes immense friction between employees. I was yelled at after "stealing someone else's commission" even though no tags were printed on the holds. This was my final straw as it was in front of customers! Also, I was talked down to and a fellow employee even ditched his shift one night so he could go home early. So, I had the entire department by myself on my second week. I was so angry and beyond stressed! My manager was apologetic, but this employee never spoke to me again even when it was just the two of us working the dept at night and we needed to work together for obvious reasons.

Another coworker would steal my fitting room key and not refer to me by my first name. She instead called me "that person over there". She was a personal stylist with top sales so the management defended her to the end. Also, I witnessed the bridal suite discriminating against larger women whom I was helping.

Generally, customers are super mean and snobby and entitled. However, this is not the problem. You do get paid to serve the customer, and I was hoping to build great customer relationships. I do not get paid, however, to be disrespected so blatantly by my "coworkers".

By the way, the dress department on average gets an ENTIRELY new staff every six months due to the high turnover rate. Most people transfer out ASAP or quit like I had to. So when they say that Nordstrom has great employee retention, well, ask to see department numbers. Shoes generally has better retention as do departments like St. John. However, BP, Topshop, Handbags, Dresses, and womens apparel all have low employee retention.

Ultimately, I dont think I gained anything good from this experience. One of my coworkers said she preferred her job when she worked at Macys. It was hourly and therefore they worked as a TEAM. In turn, there was less tension and no ridiculous competition.

Steer clear!

Be more honest to potential employees. Teach your employees respect for one another. Dont expect us to spend our whole days doing non-sales related chores, then also have excellent selling numbers. Stop favoring the high sellers- hold them accountable when they make mistakes too. We are all human here. Check in with your department and employees and make sure they are doing OK. Promote more kindness and respect. Your retention rates will show it if you really care. Understand that some of us are students, parents, daughters to our parents, and friends. In other words, do not expect us to work full time and take on all these extra shifts when we signed as part time.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!