There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Very fun and creative atmosphere

Current Employee - Product Coordinator in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Product Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the product, creativity

Cons

Wish the pay was a little better

reviews filtered by
  1. Good experience

I worked at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

Good hours, decent pay, friendly people

Cons

Job depends on reaching goals, bad managers, catty environment

2. It's been a great learning experience, but not a company I'd want to grow with in 2013.

Current Employee - Salesperson in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time

Pros

Nordstrom provides the groundwork to develop excellent customer service skills on your own terms. As an associate, I take care of customer issues and use my best judgement on the situation and think of ways to better accommodate the customer without asking for help. Other pros- get to dress up and be hip, great people to work with, and you feel good about helping people. Can easily move up to management if you make it known.

Cons

By removing the customer service counter, they have delegated almost all those tasks to the salespeople which takes away from selling (which is the only way to make money). Feels like you're working for free half the year because sales get slow. Hours are long with only one day off at a time, unless you put in a request one month ahead. Cannot wear open-toed flats unless they are high heels and every acceptable flat is so painful because of lack of support for 9 hours.
    Other cons- They make sure you never get over-time, bunions within 2 months and varicose veins within a year (because of poor footwear), and have to deal with fraudulent people/returns at least 3 times a week. Also, if you don't want to move through different departments, or state to state, management isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Change the shoe policy. If you don't want salespeople wearing open-toed shoes. Fine. But it is wrong to say you can wear open-toed shoes only if they high heels. It's unfair to the other 80% of women who care about the health of their feet.
    Department stances/goals are better informed over the loud speaker. It's easier to hear and soak in. All the figures tend to go in one ear out the other at the rally due to clapping over music. The rally should just be for us salespeople to get excited about our new product and go over the top ten -which is fun.