Potential Interns: Steer Clear

Former Intern - Sales and Management Intern in Austin, TX
Former Intern - Sales and Management Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Nordstrom as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-The only positive experience that came from my internship at Nordstrom was how NOT to treat employees and how NOT to run a department. -The pay can be good during busy times but it can also be bad during slow times, and with more and more people shopping online, slow times were plentiful -If you're an intern here, expect to learn everything from your fellow salespeople. The managment team is not helpful at all. I met some amazing salespeople.

Cons

-Inexperienced DMs & ADMs -Just because someone sells A LOT doesn't necessarily mean he/she can manage an entire floor of salespeople. This "Nordstrom logic" can be seen throughout the entire company -I didn't feel welcomed at all by my management team -Overall it could have been worse, but it should have been far better

Advice to Management

Not everyone learns the same. Some people are visual learners, some people are not. Be humble and help "the little guy." Arrogance helps no one.

Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom

1. Steer clear of the cosmetics department.

Former Employee - Clinique Counter Manager
    Former Employee - Clinique Counter Manager

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good. Pay is decent.

Cons

Politics. Everyone cares more about themselves. They rarely congratulate you for a job well done they jump to the next day. The more you do the more they expect. It's a recipe for disaster. I would recommend working in any department but steer clear of Cosmetics. They work you lot death and there's very little re,ward. It's nothing but stress.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites? Support your staff through positive reinforcement rather than trying to motivate through the threat of losing your job. HR plays nice to your face but their main focus is to protect the company not the employees.

2. Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quick advancement if that's what your looking for

Cons

Promoting some induviduals that are not ready for a management roll

Advice to Management

Coaching employees that need help especially if they are a good employee. On the store level some leaders are not doing that. They seem to have their on agenda and that's not Nordstrom way. The company has changed a lot in the last year.