There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Overall A Great Company to Work For!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nordstrom is a great place to work if you're interested in retail, fashion, sales or customer service. It's really unlike any other department store since it offers customers lots of options at every price range. You get to meet tons of interesting people with different personalities so if you're an outgoing social person you will thrive. It can be a fun work environment and your work/life balance is great because you don't have to take "work home" too often.

Cons

The system of Nordstrom's return policy for merchandise is much too lenient and when it affects your paycheck, it makes everyone from your co-workers to your managers stressed and unhappy.

In order to keep your customers happy you don't have to take back every piece or worn merchandise...in a commission based company like Nordstrom (in sales) this is the equivalent of stealing from your own employees since returned items go against the original selling employee.

2709 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

Memorable

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people, health benefits, 401k

Cons

Hours, must be mobile, commission sales not steady

Up and Down Rollercoaster

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Troy, MI

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will have the opportunity to grow with this company. (This is not cliche, it's actually true)
    You can make your own paycheck
    You will find yourself and grow.

Cons

My cons is the same as my pros with explanations this time:

You will have the opportunity to grow with this company.

These opportunities come quick and it is all about networking but you get paid less once you step up to the assistant management position. (You have to start as a sales person to work your way up in the company, which is cool but you shouldn't be making less while advancing.) My managers complain daily about their task and for me, it's hard visualizing myself in the position if it really sucks. (It could be my department.)

You can make your own paycheck.

This could be good if you have been in the company for a while and have customers that are able to spend loads of money with you. However, when it gets slow..its slow. Almost all departments work only on commission. Also, customer traffic depends on location and length of time in company. (You will have to call your customers to come in to shop with you)...I work in a department that is pretty popular in our region..so I make decent sales but my check is never consistent. Not even close.

You will find yourself and grow.

You will have to deal with sharks. It's pretty life changing. You will have people smile and your face but turn on you. Everyday you are dealing with customers who you spend most of time with and then you provide them with the best solutions and then they return it (AND you lose the money for it, so you technically was not paid for the time that was spent with that customer). Or you could have been helping a customer and your coworker will try to steal the sale. Or you can make a huge sale but your department manager is not satisfied with your results because you should've sold something different.

It feels like it is never enough to work hard because somehow you told you should've worked harder.

Added con:

Our Return Policy:

Our return policy is amazing for customers but it hurts our sales daily. However, if the merchandise was purchased over a year ago it will not hurt your sales. (A year is a long time but you will be surprised what customers will bring back.)

We take a beating at this job, take the time to acknowledge the good we do. Most importantly, learn how to give constructive criticism. I do think this is amazing company for people to grow in, but you have to remember that your attitude is influential on the moods of your workers.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!