Nordstrom

www.nordstrom.com

It's okay--as long as you're not a cook

Line Cook (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsBenefits are unmatched. 2-1/2 times on Holidays, generous 401K option if you last at least 3 years.

ConsWages sub-par. Hours sub-par and cannot sustain a living wage. They make the cooks wash the dishes because they are too cheap to hire a dishwasher. They are strictly numbers oriented. They ask of the chef, did you meet your labor quota? Price quota? They don't care if you can't afford to pay your rent or not, they want maximum labor and minimum cost. The cooks cannot express one bit of creativity, all menu items must be followed exactly at the point of creation, with the book open to the page you are making from. Each order, turn the page, pure insanity when you're busy. Portions weighed to 0.1 ounces means less time to cook and more prep. If you look at the constant openings on craigslist for cooks, cook's helpers, dishwashers, now you know why. Everyone I worked with was job hunting on their days off. It's a terrible place, I felt like I was in hell and every day I got paroled.

The food servers make far more money with less training, fewer requirements and they don't share with the cooks, making a cook's job at Nordstrom the worst in the world. You are not a cook at Nordstrom, you are a robot, and you have to follow all directions exactly. NO room for ANY creativity, management blows you off, HR blows you off and is there only to protect management. They look at wage-earner turnover as just another part of the business.

No wonder why all the love-letter 5-star reviews are from salespeople!

Advice to Senior ManagementNix the whole consistency idea, let's the chef's decide what's right for their kitchen. Let them do their job! Allocate hours for dishwashers that don't cut into the cook's schedule. Use leftover stocks for soups instead of throwing them away. This is only the short list.

An emotional rollercoaster

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: If you work hard, you can make g-ood personal relationships… Cons: Micro-management. Harassment. Nagging and at least three different managers telling you different things. Too many sales people. Return Everything. Not Enough time on floor… Advice to Senior Management: Talk to each other and reach common ground before telling… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

AWFUL TO THE MAX !!!

Commissioned Sales Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Discount, but you'll do just as well or better on… Cons: Everyting Else !!! Dumb,Narcissistic Management That pulls rank at every turn, Sleeps around with the other managers (this place makes the Bunny Ranch resemble a chapel)… Advice to Senior Management: You're incapable of recognizing when you need advice, so find out the hard way,if at all. When the U.S.government goes… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Nordstrom.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!