There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

It's okay--as long as you're not a cook

Former Employee - Line Cook  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Line Cook in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are unmatched. 2-1/2 times on Holidays, generous 401K option if you last at least 3 years.

Cons

Wages sub-par. Hours sub-par and cannot sustain a living wage. They make the cooks wash the dishes because they are too cheap to hire a dishwasher. They are strictly numbers oriented. They ask of the chef, did you meet your labor quota? Price quota? They don't care if you can't afford to pay your rent or not, they want maximum labor and minimum cost. The cooks cannot express one bit of creativity, all menu items must be followed exactly at the point of creation, with the book open to the page you are making from. Each order, turn the page, pure insanity when you're busy. Portions weighed to 0.1 ounces means less time to cook and more prep. If you look at the constant openings on craigslist for cooks, cook's helpers, dishwashers, now you know why. Everyone I worked with was job hunting on their days off. It's a terrible place, I felt like I was in hell and every day I got paroled.

The food servers make far more money with less training, fewer requirements and they don't share with the cooks, making a cook's job at Nordstrom the worst in the world. You are not a cook at Nordstrom, you are a robot, and you have to follow all directions exactly. NO room for ANY creativity, management blows you off, HR blows you off and is there only to protect management. They look at wage-earner turnover as just another part of the business.

No wonder why all the love-letter 5-star reviews are from salespeople!

Nix the whole consistency idea, let's the chef's decide what's right for their kitchen. Let them do their job! Allocate hours for dishwashers that don't cut into the cook's schedule. Use leftover stocks for soups instead of throwing them away. This is only the short list.

2674 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

Potential Interns: Steer Clear

Former Employee - Sales and Management Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales and Management Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Nordstrom as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-The only positive experience that came from my internship at Nordstrom was how NOT to treat employees and how NOT to run a department.
    -The pay can be good during busy times but it can also be bad during slow times, and with more and more people shopping online, slow times were plentiful
    -If you're an intern here, expect to learn everything from your fellow salespeople. The managment team is not helpful at all. I met some amazing salespeople.

Cons

-Inexperienced DMs & ADMs
    -Just because someone sells A LOT doesn't necessarily mean he/she can manage an entire floor of salespeople. This "Nordstrom logic" can be seen throughout the entire company
    -I didn't feel welcomed at all by my management team
    -Overall it could have been worse, but it should have been far better

Not everyone learns the same. Some people are visual learners, some people are not. Be humble and help "the little guy." Arrogance helps no one.

A lot harder than expected but worth it!

Current Employee - POV  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - POV in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The people
    - The clothing
    - The discount
    - The opportunity for growth in the company

Cons

- The hours
    - The constant push for us employees to open rewards cards
    - Dress code

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!