Nordstrom

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Overwhelmed and underpaid

Current Employee - Department Manager in Edison, NJ
Current Employee - Department Manager in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lost of growth opportunities within the company. Friendly work environment. Old school mentality when it comes to sales, advertising and custmerrelatioships

Cons

Management tries to overwhelm you with the lots of tasks. They expect you to come in on your days off to work. You often work 50+ hours per week without overtime. You cannot take more than to days off in a row without using vacation time.

Work on supporting your managers. Do give one manager over 2 departments without the help of an assistant.

3370 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

I was very disappointed with Nordstrom.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the customers and learned a lot about good customer service. Good support staff in alterations department and customer service. Also enjoyed the professionalism of coworkers.

Cons

The department manager can make or break the experience. Unfortunately, I had a manager who spent very little time training me and scheduled my days off during peak selling times. Feeling that I was set up for failure, I asked to be moved to a different department but was told that I had to stay in the department six months before making a move. That's when I decided to leave.

Slow down with promoting kids into management positions.

Horrible, not worthy of the positive reviews, and selfish managers with lack of morale.

Current Employee - Sales Person in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. I met some really nice people.

Cons

Not a team environment and the managers will sell constantly. Some managers will cherry pick and take all the good customers and pass the other customers to the staff on the floor. Also, they will make you do task work while they are making a sell and normally its a really good one. Lack of moral especially in the number one store in the company. Veterans have merit and if your new then you can look forward to working more closing shifts and the flexibility isn't that great.

I believe that it should be fair and the management staff should be there to support and not to be their employees equal. The rules about management being able to sell should be exempt from the benefits, because of the simple fact that some managers abuse this privilege. As an upper manager, it is imperative that you'll come and visit the stores and talk to the staff and not always to the upper managers, because the majority of the time they will tell you misleading information. In order for a business to grow and to develop, the people at the bottom have to be motivated and inspired to achieve one common goal and that's to make more money. If the people at the bottom isn't happy then the numbers will drastically show that in the business results.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom