Nordstrom

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Overwhelmed and underpaid

Current Employee - Department Manager in Edison, NJ
Current Employee - Department Manager in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Nordstrom part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lost of growth opportunities within the company. Friendly work environment. Old school mentality when it comes to sales, advertising and custmerrelatioships

Cons

Management tries to overwhelm you with the lots of tasks. They expect you to come in on your days off to work. You often work 50+ hours per week without overtime. You cannot take more than to days off in a row without using vacation time.

Work on supporting your managers. Do give one manager over 2 departments without the help of an assistant.

3214 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Truly a customer focused company
    20% employee discount that is also valid at Nordstrom Rack (33% for managers/pace setters)
    If you are fortunate to get a good manager you will learn a lot

Cons

A return policy (or lack of one) that is detrimental to employees. Nordstrom will take anything back, regardless of condition or purchase date. Unfortunately there are customers who take advantage of this fact and blatantly abuse their return privileges. I started working in Via C, Collectors and St John which are all luxury designer departments. There were women who would purchase $8,000 worth of merchandise and return 3-4 months later when the newest collection would come out. This would result in a full $8000 refund for the customer and an $8000 to the selling employee's overall sales for the pay period. Even after moving departments and selling in the men's sportswear department I have seen jeans and slacks that have already been altered accepted for return.

Place some parameters on your return policy. I saw it repeatedly grossly abused over the course of the 2 years I was employeed. Often by people who were known to be "repeat offenders" with no consequence.

unstable and unpredictable

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Roseville, CA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

opportunity to make decent money, plenty of 20 somethings and they promote within.

Cons

straight commission, returns affect your pay a lot! cut throat environment and you only get 20% off their expensive merchandise.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom