Nordstrom

Nordstrom - The Best Option For Working in Retail

Former Employee - Communications Operator in Buford, GA
Former Employee - Communications Operator in Buford, GA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Nordstrom is a company that feels like a family away from home. While working in the Communications department I was able to become close friends with coworkers and even my manager. Now, after not working there for over a year, I still keep in touch with them and it's not "weird". Although it was a very professional environment, I was allowed to balance personal life with the workplace - during any down time I was allowed and even encouraged to do school work since I was a student at the time. I was also able to take time off work at the drop of a hat if my personal life called for it. Of course, I was expected to return the favor if it was called for in the future (kind of a "I'll scratch your back today, you scratch mine when I need it too" mentality). I was always recognized and praised for a job well done - on a daily basis. Overall it was a wonderful place to work!

Cons

My biggest issue with Nordstrom was the fact that it's retail. With retail comes a retail schedule, so I hated having to work the evening shift (1:30-9:30PM). It was switched up for variety, but sometimes that would mean that I would work the evening shift and then have to be back the very next morning at 7:30AM for the morning shift. That could get tiring. It was also a little difficult to be relieved for regular breaks. The person working the AM shift would have to wait for the PM shift to arrive before taking a lunch break - and sometimes even a restroom break. Since the phones HAD to be manned at all times, it was difficult to find someone to watch them even long enough to run to the restroom - the phone system was much more advanced than a regular phone, so the average employee on the floor was "afraid" to take over the phones even for a short period of time. When working the PM shift, I had to take a lunch break 2 hours after arriving or else I wouldn't get one. Taking a break that early made me very tired later in the evening when I actually NEEDED a break. Since I do still stay in touch with old coworkers who are still working there, I've heard that this issue has been addressed and improved since I left.

I loved working here but I would have loved the opportunity to grow more. I felt like I was never given the chance to show the extent of my abilities. Nonetheless, I wouldn't trade the experiences I gained for anything.

3053 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

Do you want to work for a company that values and empowers you?

Former Employee - Sales Person in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Person in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

They treat you like family even though they are a big fortune 500 company. If you ever do have issues in the company the open door to management is always there to settle any problem without fear of your trust being broken. Always every manager enpowers you to meet the needs of your costomer no matter the cost or time it takes to always make them feel valued and respected. There is also really good growth in the company so you have a great chances to move up. I loved this job, but I just moved to a city that doesn't have a Nordstrom.

Cons

The downside is this is a retail job meaning, nights, weekends, and holidays.

Keep doing the great job you have always done.

Personal Stylist

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Freedom, great company culture, great co-workers, competitive environment

Cons

long hours, retail, omission-based salary (not consistent)

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom