There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Being pressured by managers to pressure customers just isn't for me

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Can be well-paying if you don't mind working on commission

Cons

- Working on commission
- Being chided by management for trying to respect customers' wishes and personal space

Advice to Management

Management claims to have customer service as the main goal for the company, but it's really not true. If it were, sales associates wouldn't have the fear of God put in them to circle customers like vultures until they are so uncomfortable they cave and buy something. Or, quite often, they just leave.
Also, they really need to quit hiring preteen girls who have no basic skills besides having hip fashion sense. Don't get me wrong, fashion sense is quite important in a CLOTHING STORE, but if that's all you have, you're not doing any company or its customers any favors. Just as, like another reviewer pointed out, just because someone has excellent sales does NOT mean that they would make an effective manager, but Nordstrom doesn't seem to realize this, and will promote catty, aggressive, and wildly patronizing individuals to department manager.

reviews filtered by
  1. All about the sales!

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

A fun place to work

Cons

Too pressure and focus on sales and not customer

2. Retail Management Intern

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Learned a lot. Met good people.

Cons

No loyalty after the program was over. A year after being an intern I wanted to work back at my Nordstrom, but there was no loyalty there whatsoever. I was a tops sales person and everything... I was shocked to be honest

Advice to Management

Be loyal to past employees whether its 1 year later or 10 years. If they put the time in at your company you should be open to hiring them in the future.