Nordstrom

www.nordstrom.com

Current Strategy Doesn't Match Long-standing Reputation

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

Positive competitive environment
Wonderful talented co-workers

Cons

The company has been making a lot of changes that don't align with the sentiments it prides itself on.

Great sellers aren't necessarily good managers. More manager training, as it seems a trend across the company that management doesn't know how to motivate positively.

Other reviews for Nordstrom

Men's Shoe Salesman

Former Employee - Men's Shoe Salesman  in  Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Men's Shoe Salesman in Salem, OR

Pros

Professional Culture
    Looks good on a resume for beginners.
    Employee Discounts are nice, especially during Anniversary Sale.

Cons

Earning decent money takes time and clientele relationships.
    Management was shoddy, since most managers were hired based on looks, not necessarily experience or know-how.

Hire more experienced managers. Don't always go for the the most attractive or youngest: superficial choices make bad results.

A good learning experience.

Former Employee - Salesperson
    Former Employee - Salesperson

Pros

-Earning potential is good at the sales level considering it is a retail position. Although you are expected to generally stay within your department you can sell any item in the store and your commission with reflect the standard commission given for that department. Ex: A cosmetics salesperson will earn 3% on all sales of cosmetics, but if they sell a pair of shoes they will earn 10% on the shoe sale.
    -I never felt as if I was being micromanaged and although I was given a lot of direction, a lot of goals, and a lot of tasks, I could go about managing my time the way I wanted to each day. You were given a very empowering sense of autonomy over your business.
    -I was afforded many opportunities to interact with people in higher management levels (Erik Nordstrom frequently came to check in) and to work closely with vendors. Not only did this provide valuable networking opportunities, but it taught me a lot about how the business operates on different levels.
    -Scheduling at my location was actually pretty good. Requests were easily granted, unless they interfered with major store or department events, and schedules were given for the entire month, so you could actually plan your life outside of work.
    -The company seemed to be very interested in investing in new technology such as mobile registers. Because these devices were just being implemented company-wide, transactions frequently went awry, but I enjoyed the idea that the company was forward-thinking and interested in trying out new ways to make the customer experience better, and the sales experience easier for employees. (Admittedly, the mobiles were not always a pro.)
    -I met a lot of great people working at this store, and I believe this is because the emphasis on customer service carried through to the way employees interacted with each other. Most of my fellow employees were friendly and approachable, lunchroom chatter often consisted of commiserating over returns, or laughing at the tv, and there was a general feeling that we were all in the same boat.

Cons

-All returns are accepted. Literally all returns. Even if the item was purchased at Macy's ten years ago and is half-empty and moldy, Nordstrom will take it back for a full refund. And believe me, customers definitely DO have the audacity to return these items and they know that they can take advantage of the lenient return policy. Often returns would negatively affect commission and sales-per-hour rates. Many happy work days were completely ruined by huge returns....
    - Doing stock would often take a lot of time away from being on the sales floor and we were never allowed non-sell hours for our time (often hours of time prior to major events/holidays) spent in the stockroom, which would affect daily sales-per-hour rates.
    -A significant amount of telemarketing and cold-calling, especially in order to bring in pre-sales for events. You need to be comfortable calling your customers every day and essentially harassing them to come into the store and shop.
    -Closing can be terrible. Nordstrom does not pressure its customers to leave as soon as the store closes, and the employees are not allowed to close registers until the last customer is out of the store. This can take an extremely long time and you get out very late.
    -There is a huge learning curve here as far as performing transactions and it can take months to feel very confident with them. You receive very little training but are expected to be able to use multiple kinds of POS devices. Complicated returns, looking up customer information, sending items from your store and other stores, multiple tender types... Thankfully, many of my coworkers were willing to help. It sounds less complicated than it is in practice, I assure you!
    -Employees at my location were encouraged to be very aggressive and sale-stealing was often flippantly ignored. This created a lot of animosity between coworkers and distrust in management.
    -We would receive conflicting instructions from the regional, store, department and assistant managers. Lack of communication between these groups put a lot of pressure on the sales team, who would take the blame for following the wrong orders.
    -One of the biggest and oft-ignored problems particular to my location and department were bulk sales. The same customers would come in daily to purchase large amounts of a singular item, evidently for resale. Our department managers encouraged this behavior to the point where they would even help sticker and ring items. Aside from the fact that this is obviously bad for the company (because Nordstrom is not a wholesale retailer) these large sales would deplete stock to the point where regular customers would miss out on items they needed, thus many employees would miss out on legitimate sales. Employees who became top sellers as a result of bulk selling would be praised and touted as examples for the rest of the department. The practice skewed numbers and expectations for the entire department and I believe it was the cause of a lot of stress for employees who worked hard to make legitimate sales. In the two years that I worked for the company, this was a regular practice and I suppose because numbers were high, the managers felt they had nothing to worry about. I would imagine that if these sales were to be stopped, the department I worked in would not have looked half as good on paper.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!