Nordstrom

www.nordstrom.com
  www.nordstrom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

no work-life balance, leadership, or overall structure

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice discount, strong reputation, casual atmosphere where you can make mistakes and not be punished for them, good to have on resume

Cons

pay is inconsistent and how you get paid is all subjective based on favoritism rather than on true performance. leadership is lacking all around as being a leader is defined by how long you've been with the company rather than your actual performance. many managers have been with company for their whole career and hide behind their titles rather than actually support their people as they should. there is tons of hiring being done for senior and leadership jobs when you need more worker bees who are actually doing the day to day work that the business needs support with. no work-life balance and they work you like crazy without providing you any increase in pay.

hold your leaders accountable for their performance and how they get results rather than just on trying to meet financial targets. find out what your employees are feeling and ask for feedback as you would with your customers. give the employees a voice and at least let them feel like they are heard.

invest in technology that support your employees in getting their jobs done rather than pouring all your money into the wrong areas. think about the return on investment of your decisions and what is actually being accomplished with your money.

2977 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

Nordstrom Rack, a miserable place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many, employee discount. Hourly rate is better than most retailers, however this gets offset when they cut your hours.

Cons

Have a store manager that bases all of her decisions on blatant favoritism toward certain employees. I have worked in the same position for many years and always denied even the slightest promotion. Meanwhile, someone new can come in and a few weeks later get a promotion for doing absolutely nothing (other than perhaps kissing a** and being the same skin color as the manager).

The level of incompetence displayed by management is astounding. Not only is the store performing poorly, the managers always blame their subordinates for this. The store manager frequently complains that she has to stay late which is laughable since she usually shows up to work at least a half hour to a hour after everyone else. It is also acceptable for certain people to call out weekly. In fact, one person who does this just got an employee of the quarter award. Other than for the select few favorites, employee moral is extremely low.

How about just once make an unannounced visit to our store? Every time you tell the store manager you're coming she puts on a show for you. This includes keeping us late the night before (sometimes until midnight), just to make the store look more presentable the next morning. Also, schedules are changed to have more people on the floor when you come to create the illusion that we are not understaffed when in fact we really are.

Don't Put all your Eggs in on Basket

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relationships with Co-workers and customers

Cons

inconsistent pay, inconsistent messaging from management. I was a customer service all star, pacesetter- top sales employee, and I was always asked for more. Doing your best was never enough. No work life balance!

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom