There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Department Manager in Sterling, VA
Current Employee - Department Manager in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

I can see myself building a career with the company, which I love.
You are treated with respect, no matter who you deal with and what their job title is. I find that very important in a Fortune 500 company!

Cons

Working retail as they say, is tough. I often wish I had a job with bank hours and where you have holidays paid and off. However, the compensation is often worth it.

I truly am a very satisfied employee and do not have any complaints to give!

reviews filtered by

Varies by store, but stay on your toes

Former Employee - Floor Sales? (There IS No Real Job Title) in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Floor Sales? (There IS No Real Job Title) in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

This is a company that does truly put customers first, unlike several other retail firms, however there are numerous caveats.

Cons

Keep in mind this is different at every store, but there were a few problems I ran into at my store. In one department especially, the company philosophy of being "Fashion Forward" was taken a bit too far. Rather than listening to what customers wanted, employees in that department were essentially berating customers into purchasing items the company had declared to be "Fashion Forward". Rather than listening to customer needs, the company had decided what it could sell most profitably (i.e. house brands), and condescended to tell the customer what was right for them, style-wise.

A store manager was ousted on complaints of gross macromanagement by her subordinates to senior management. The manager was not given the opportunity to address her employees concerns. The new store manager had a disastrous affect on employee morale. She took up the reigns of the store without a formal introduction, and at one point asked a cashier to see if the department manager was available. When the cashier asked if she could tell the manager the name of who would like to speak with her, she was told it wasn't any of her business, and she needed to do as she was told.

Other department managers may be promoted based on their sales alone, without paying attention to their aptitude for managing coworker relations. Several managers I noticed at being completely inept in any basic principle of management, and most managers talked down to their employees. The company seems to seek out reasons to discipline and fire employees, and the only positive feedback comes either in the form of a bigger commission check, or to employees who reach stellar sales goals. Sales seem to be rewarded, and consistently good customer service ignored - it's thought the best in customer service are also the best in sales - although in my store, the top sellers were often vocally avoided by many loyal customers.

Also, a lack of a defined set of rules allows much flexibility, but also leads to constant editorializing among department managers about what is acceptable and what is not. Leads to much confusion and interdepartmental and interstore differences.

Drop the cult of personality. The employees seem alternately awestruck and petrified by senior management. And cut out the patronizing condescension.

A good place for a job and a start at a career.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Nordstrom focuses on Customer Service. If you want to enter any other field where that's important, getting some time in at Nordstrom can be a big help as that's what the company is known for. I've been with the company for a couple years now and of any clothing retailer, Nordstrom is the best that I've found. (Especially considering it deals mainly in luxury goods such as designer handbags, dresses, shoes and clothing.) The people at the store are especially good. You'll always have those random weirdos that slip through the cracks in HR but they're all mostly good. Also lots of opportunity for advancement if you like what you do. You can go to another store and even become a buyer or work for corporate headquarters in Seattle.

Cons

It's retail. The flexible schedule can be a benefit sometimes and other times it'll bite you in the ass. Good luck getting good shifts if you aren't personable and a good seller, too. Plum shifts are reserved for those who're top sellers (but again, it's retail and that's what retail is all about). Also, the current store OPM store manager seems kind of weak. He's a nice guy and all but he's totally non-confrontational so lots of people get away with murder that shouldn't. And he definitely seems to have his favorites. Favoritism abounds, which isn't a bad thing if you're one of them.

Get a backbone and deal with the issues right under your nose! Like grandfathering the management of a department to someone totally undeserving and clueless! That shouldn't happen. There're too many of us ready for management positions that actually know how to drive a business for you to give away positions to people that are mediocre at best.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom