Nordstrom Rack

www.nordstromrack.com
  www.nordstromrack.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom Rack

Great part-time job, especially if you are in school!

Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom Rack part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount: All employees get 20% off everything at Nordstrom Rack and Nordstrom (Fulline). All managers get 33% off everything at the Rack and Fulline. Plus, one day out of the year (during holiday season) all employees get 30% off everything and managers get 40% off everything at both the Rack and Fulline.

The work environment is so relaxed, especially in the Men's dept!

If you get a good customer letter, you get a free beverage at a Nordstrom eBar!

No real pressure to sell (because it is "the Rack" and not "Fulline"), except when the sales compared to the same day last year are extremely low.

Managers/assistant managers vary. (When I started, I had an okay manager/assistant manager, but now I have a great manager/assistant manager.)

Cons

No real stresses, except when the store's sales are poor - hours are cut, there is a pressure to "make the day" even though employees have virtually no control over that!

Just close the store on time!

243 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom Rack (View Most Recent)

Fast paced environment, great people, poor pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Nordstrom Rack full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The sacramento rack employees a great group of diverse people, who are generally all very happy to be working there. The energy is great, the store manager is awesome- a strong leader, and good person to work for. You get a great look at the world of retail, and learn quickly how to multitask and prioritize. Plus, its a Nordstrom company, so you learn the true meaning of customer service. Even though you are a million times busier than the full line Nordstrom store, you are expected to still maintain the highest level of customer service, and this is very beneficial.

Cons

As an assistant, there are a million things that are expected of you, but little to no time to get them done. You have administrative tasks such as making the schedule (this is the assistants job- manager double checks it), keeping up with e-mails including correspondence with your regional manager, and organizing and planning "events", like markdowns and inventory. However, you are required to be on the sales floor from 11-5 every day, and any time your department or the store is busy. Having too much to do is all well and good if you can go into overtime, but here, assistants are not allowed to have overtime (although we often do... I haven't been addressed about my overtime yet.).

All of this would be totally worth it if it wasn't for the paychecks that accompany regularly working 45-50 hours a week, including ALL Saturdays, and many late nights during the week, with no set schedule. Assistants may make the schedules, but this means always scheduling managers and assistants in opposite shifts (manager opens, assistant closes, or vice versa), not to mention Manager in Charge shifts (shifts when the store manager will not be present in the store, and a manager or assistant takes over as the one in charge of everything from deciding to accept or deny questionable returns, to motivating the store to make the day). Managers and assistants each have at least one MIC or back up MIC shift a week, meaning assistants end up having little actual say in scheduling.

For 14.65 an hour, the job isn't quite worth it for the money, but I have been with the company for 2 years, and the forward progression in a career path is something that can benefit anyone.

Store manager does a great job in general, but try to be a little more understanding when managers and assistants tell you how and why certain things cannot get done exactly when you want them to- for example, understand why our floors are a little messy when we were just forced to cut 35 hours from our schedules, and are now short staffed, or when you ask us why we are down 15% on a saturday, and we point out a lacking in merchandise in certain departments, listen and know that we understand our business, and our shortcomings are not always due to poor performance by our employees.

Nordstrom Rack is a great place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate- Rack in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Nordstrom Rack part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is easy to move up with the company and it can open many doors for you.

Cons

The uniform is too casual. Nordstrom is about high fashion not jeans and a t-shirt,

Some managers could be a little more professional.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom Rack