Norfolk Southern

www.nscorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern

A wonderful place to work.

Current Employee - Mid-Upper Level Transportation Manager
Current Employee - Mid-Upper Level Transportation Manager

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

Business is strong, market fluctuations have less overall effect on operations. NS is well diversified in it's traffic base. There are no worries of job loss. NS requires HIGH level of integrity. You can count on the word of the people you work with. For someone with my background and education, NS provides opportunities that cannot be found elsewhere. They promote both from within and without, looking for competent leaders and managers, pedigrees and connections will not help you if you are unable to advance the business. Lastly NS provides above average compensation

Cons

Union shop, long hours, unions, very young front line supervisory staff

We're on the right track, keep supporting those in the field. Swift and decisive action against those with integrity issues is appreciated

126 Other Employee Reviews for Norfolk Southern (View Most Recent)

Kind people and good learning

Former Employee - Electrical Engineeringthe Mechanical Department in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I had the pleasure of working as an intern at the coal pier in Norfolk, Va. Right near Virginia Beach, this was a beautiful area. I am an electrical engineering student and the supervisors at NS presented me with various projects that were not very mathematics or theory intense, however, they were valuable in-field learning experiences. I was able to witness the operations of power substations at the facility and actually see the replacement of an enormous old power transformer. I also got to view the operation of the facility's PLC network and establish fiber optic connections for a new video recording systems that they were implementing at the pier.

Cons

A coal pier is a dirty place, it is hard to do field work without getting a decent amount of coal on your clothing and hands but if you can get past that you will love it in Norfolk, the people are nice, funny and knowledgeable and they let you have a lot of freedom in the projects you pursue.

Marketing Intern

Current Employee - Marketing Intern
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Housing stipend, great pay, good corporate internship opportunity. Met a lot of great people who were always willing to help.

Cons

I would have liked to have been busier. I had weekly assignments that were due but was never busy like I would be at a normal job. I feel I could have learned so much more if management would had me on a schedule to learn from people. I had a few projects I worked on while I was there but most of them got slowed down or cancelled completely because I couldn't get the information I needed. I would recommend taking an online class or two with this internship, unless you get the Chemicals Department.

More structure to the intern program. Hire an intern every semester and have tasks for each department that are delegated to them. Have them on a schedule where people in each department set aside time to teach them an important business skill, whether it public speaking or excel. This is your chance to hire future employee, you need to give them a great experience they want to come back to.

There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern