There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern

Great rewards for above average performers

Current Employee - Middle Management - Transportation  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Middle Management - Transportation in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

Stability, compensation, career growth and advancement, interesting, challenging and changing tasks. NS offers it's managers the opportunity to step out from behind the curtain of anonimity and shine. Those leaders who perform well while demonstrating respect, integrity, teamwork and are open to innovative ideas will quickly move to the front of the pack. NS offers opportunities at all levels regardless of ecucation. Short of attaining the executive level (where Wall Street expects a pedigree), those with nothing more than a high school education wil find no "glass ceiling".

Cons

There are not a lot of downsides, though NS attracts self starters who are willing to go the extra mile to acomplish a goal or meet a challenge. Those not making the grade will find many faults with NS, though they would with almost any employer short of McDonalds.

Continue to focus on improved communication and invest in technology.

108 Other Employee Reviews for Norfolk Southern (View Most Recent)

Good job security, average pay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

Working at Norfolk Southern provides good job security and good benefits. Retirement benefits are very good and include company paid pension, along with railroad retirement. There is also a 401K plan in which the company contributes up to 3% of your salary.

Cons

My job location is stable, but many employees are subject to be moved fairly often. One person I know was moved 11 times in 22 years, and not all of them were voluntary. Norfolk Southern says that it's salaries rank at the 75th percentile when compared to similar jobs at other companies. There is no evidence of this in my department. Our salaries rank at around the 50th percentile.

Get that stock price up.

A good company, if you can take it.

Current Employee - Mechanical Supervisor  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Supervisor in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

Attrition due to retirement is very high right now. This creates an environment where you can move quickly up the ladder if you can put forth the effort.

Cons

Long hours, lack of holidays.

Quality of life needs to be improved.

There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!