Norfolk Southern

www.nscorp.com

Bad Quality OF Life

Trainmaster (Current Employee) South Bend, IN

Pros*On the management side they have wonderful medical benefits and great salary for those starting out.
*Great retirement, if you can make it that far!!

Cons* You work for the railroad and they are a 24hr operations.

* The pay verses the hours does not work out well. Instead of dollars per hour it turns out to be pennies per hour

*There are no sick days, no personal days, no set schedule in terminal's or line of road, no personal life allowed.

*You are at their beck and call. 24hrs a day, it doesn't matter if you are at a ball game with your son or recital with your daughter your butt is theirs and you better not have your phone turned off.

*If you are married stay away from this company because their is good possibility you want be married in a few short years.

*If you are prior Military they take you for granted and use and abuse you because they think you will adapt to their unbalanced way of life and culture. I'm sorry but the military was more balanced in their way of life and culture than Norfolk Southern. The military took more time to care about the well being of you andvyour family.

* The military supported your time with family, Norfolk Southern seems to see your family as a hindrance to their operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementNorfolk Southern is trying to change their way of life and it is appreciated because their needs to be major reform in the way of life. However, your reform isn't happen fast enough. I'm not willing to sacrifice my family as many have done in the past to make a buck. I'll go work at McDonald's making minimum wage if it means being able to spend more time with my family and not answering a phone at all hours of the night. If i could give one piece of advice to the upper level management I would have to say..."focus on your front line supervisors (B3-B4) make their lives better!

Great work environment

Co-Op (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Best place to work in if you are committed to… Cons: A little lagging behind in technology Advice to Senior Management: none! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

conductor or engineer

Railroad Conductor (Current Employee) Elkhart, IN

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: great pay,benefits,good co-workers,keeps u busy Cons: hrs u work,some management but they have a job to… Advice to Senior Management: none good job Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Norfolk Southern.

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!