There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern

Satisfactory experience with Norfolk Southern.

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

The salary is competitive and great benefits. Retiring with Norfolk Southern is a breeze. Your spouse will receive retirement benefits up to 50% of what you receive as a retired employee.

Cons

The company is powerful and knows it. The entire recruitment process takes a long time (3-4 months) so it is tough to tell if you are still on their radar.

112 Other Employee Reviews for Norfolk Southern (View Most Recent)

Demanding, fast paced, extreme expectations of employees

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced, rewarding in some cases, and a decent amount of training opportunities. There are decent salaries if you are in the right "track". There is opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Long hours, very little compensation for the amount of time worked, and recognition isn't structured. In other words, hard work doesn't necessarily get rewarded as quickly as it should. The company still operates under the "who you know" more than it should.

Improve at identifying talent. It should be what you know and what you do, not who you know. Provide more feedback for those who apply for jobs and are turned down.

Good Company, Long Hours

Current Employee - Management Trainee
    Current Employee - Management Trainee

I have been working at Norfolk Southern

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for growth, between others doing a half way job and 15,000 people retiring in the next 10 years makes for a good environment to get alot more responsibility quickly.

Cons

Expect to work a minimum of 6 days a week, any less and you'll not get anywhere. Union environment makes for a "us against them" workplace and can often make it difficult to get simple tasks done.

I don't have a problem working hard and working long hours but at the end of the day I still feel unsatisfied with what I am doing. Instead of fostering new ideas, there is a mentality of just doing your job and doing it all again tomorrow.

There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern