There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern

Norfolk Southern

Former Employee - Norfolk
Former Employee - Norfolk

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time

Pros

A company looking to find itself = plenty of advancement opportunities. Innovation is encouraged and rewarded. Many perks for employees that hopefully will survive in a down economy. Senior management gets out from behind their desk more than I've seen from other large companies. It's great they are willing to share a portion of their workday. That produces unseen, but very valuable returns.

Cons

There are many philosophical policy changes taking place in personnel, IT infrastructure, etc., needless to say, it is chaos at times. People are pushed to reach their fullest potential, so it is quite competitive, bordering on tarnishing the teamwork they are attempting to create. Feels like a shark tank at times, but that's why they are successful.

Some of these changes are behaviorial and systemic of an industry and generation (babyboomers), so do not give up when the gains stall. Stay the course.

104 Other Employee Reviews for Norfolk Southern (View Most Recent)

Non family friendly completely money focused

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer  in  Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Health Insurance was good for the first few years when we had no co pay, then we started paying 300+ a month for it. Descent pay check ,

Cons

Worked on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week, all weekends and holiday's, with no extra pay for working holiday. No time at all for family, they called you back to work after 10 hours rest, and you spent from 36 to 40 hours gone at a time. 120+ days a year in a hotel room. No where near enough pay for every thing you sacrifice. They always find a way to beat you out of your bonus's and you never got a pat on the back for working your hind end off. Always hiding in the bushes trying to catch you breaking a rule. Management at the local level was terrible. Twelve years of this and I called it quits!

Give a fellow a Pat on the back once in a while, all we ever get is the negative. The only time you see a Supervisor was to tell you how you needed to do more and do better. Hire people in management that have a clue, the college grads you hire right out of college know nothing about the railroad, and they are suppose to be able to help you and 99% of the time I had forgotten more than they even knew about railroading!!

Easy job, great pay, crappy hours

Former Employee - Conductor  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Conductor in Columbus, OH

I worked at Norfolk Southern full-time for less than a year

Pros

The job involves a lot of down time. It's a pretty easy job. The pay is excellent. They train you thoroughly since they are investing a lot of money in you, they don't want you to fail.

Cons

The hours suck. But they do tell you that up front. There's also the danger. There's no way to get an appreciation for how fast a train going 55mph feels when it flies by you while you're standing a few feet away assembling another train. Kinda spooky first few times it happens.

Communicate with trainees a little better so that they know exactly what is expected of them as far as hours and "homework" for classes

There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!