There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern

Traditional office setting, but I learned a lot.

Former Intern - Human Resources in Norfolk, VA
Former Intern - Human Resources in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Norfolk Southern as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Well respected company -Great retirement benefits and healthcare benefits for the non-unionized employees -Plenty of opportunities to work in different departments -If you work at corporate, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a stable 8-5 workday

Cons

-There was a running joke that the company is 99% male. The nature of the railroad industry tends not be as friendly towards women. -Because there's a history of promoting from within, some positions are not staffed with the best possible person for the job.

Advice to Management

Managers need to become more comfortable with firing employees who are not up to parr.

Other Employee Reviews for Norfolk Southern

1. Norfolk Southern is a Super Family and a great work environment

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leading edge technologies, open to new suggestions to make processes flow better, no micromanagement.

Cons

I've only got a one year contract

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic work!

Train crew - still decent pay and benefits, secure job but demanding hours

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer (Train Operator) in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer (Train Operator) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Union negotiated pay, Company paid insurance (200.00 month copay) You can make very decent money if and when your seniority allows you to work the higher paying jobs, long hours, layovers, various shifts are still required. 401k, Dental. Extreme focus on safe operations.

Cons

Entirely too many company rules / Government regulations, Compensation is not adequate for responsibility. Discipline when applied is arbitrary and not uniform. Senor employees are expected to be responsible and held accountable for the inexperienced without compensation. Away from home more than average. Start times can be any time (24 hours) or i.e. no regular sleep hours. In my judgment very top heavy company.

Advice to Management

Too little effort to clean up micromanaged procedures. Lack of upper management's ability to make common sense decisions and not defer to legal, financial and other "experts" . I've been exposed to Quality concept, Six sigma, I S O standards, and recently Communication Skills. But I believe that the lack of communication skills rests in management's reluctance to listen to or respond to the people that deal with the actual operation. Requiring the team to only discuss approved subjects.