There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern

Too many layers of managment

Current Employee - Developer (Systems Administrator) in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Developer (Systems Administrator) in Atlanta, GA

Pros

You will work with great people. Very strong company. Better than average benefits. Potential for advancement.

Cons

Managment has a very old school mentality. There are too many layers of managment, and it is only increasing. Lack of training when new products are brought in. Lack of vision of managment. Managment does not fully understand their environment or what is going on in it. Everyone you work with is taking interviews elsewhere, so turnover is starting to be an issue.

Advice to Management

Training on new IT products should be mandatory. A real evaluation of the managment structure is needed. Salaries need to be more inline with other companies in the area.

Other Employee Reviews for Norfolk Southern

Banal Place Of Employment

Former Employee - PC LAN Technician in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - PC LAN Technician in Norfolk, VA

Pros

The benefits were great and far more than comparable positions in industry. Also, compensation was very comfortable. Very structured format and work was cut out for you.

Cons

The workplace environment was very banal and did not support open feedback and communication. Hierarchical structure of the positions made it a very intimidating environment.

Advice to Management

Upper management should allow feedback from employees. Also, work environment is unnecessarily strict as far as dress code and appearance.

This Place Sucks!!!!

Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Good place to start a Railroad Career. I learned alot about the railroad which helped me advance to a better paying job. I miss alot of my coworkers there.

Cons

But, It's a terrible place to spend a 30+ year. They hide in the weeds and watch you work and are ready to crucify and fire you for the pettiest of rule violations. I miss some of the people I work with but I DO NOT miss the company, the way they treat their employees and how management doesn't have a clue.

Advice to Management

Management needs to realize that they're employees are more than just a number. They need to realize that we are actual people working there.