Norfolk Southern Railway

This Place Sucks!!!!

Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Jersey City, NJ
Former Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Norfolk Southern Railway

Pros

Good place to start a Railroad Career. I learned alot about the railroad which helped me advance to a better paying job. I miss alot of my coworkers there.

Cons

But, It's a terrible place to spend a 30+ year. They hide in the weeds and watch you work and are ready to crucify and fire you for the pettiest of rule violations. I miss some of the people I work with but I DO NOT miss the company, the way they treat their employees and how management doesn't have a clue.

Management needs to realize that they're employees are more than just a number. They need to realize that we are actual people working there.

61 Other Employee Reviews for Norfolk Southern Railway (View Most Recent)

Good job with full benifts

Current Employee - Yardmaster in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Yardmaster in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Norfolk Southern Railway

Pros

Pay is very competivtive, no degree is nessasary, and many employees are union.

Cons

All transportation jobs are on shiftwork. I think the company can be way better managed.

Listen to your employees; most have the experience and expertise to accoplish NS goals.

Sit back and get lost in the crowd

Former Employee - Information Technology in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Norfolk Southern Railway

Pros

The people in my department were interesting enough at the personal level.

Cons

You are a small part of a sprawling, impersonal bureaucracy. Almost everyone within my department with whom I interacted seemed dissatisfied with their jobs in one way or another. It typically stemmed from an overall distaste for the way senior management chose to run things.

Allow employees to take a more meaningful stake in the company. Everyone with whom I interacted felt that they were a small, helpless part of a large machine. Nobody seems to understand exactly why things are run the way they are. However, everyone is complacent enough to just accept it and move on.

There are newer employer reviews for Norfolk Southern Railway