Nortel Networks
www.nortel.com Toronto, Canada 5000+ Employees

Opportunities to stretch

Marketing (Former Employee)
Richardson, TX

I worked at Nortel Networks full-time for more than a year

ProsOne of the best aspects of working at Nortel was the culture of giving opportunities for growth and achievement. I experienced it myself and saw it applied to others -- if you expressed your career interests, such as leading a team or directing a project, leaders would find ways to help you. Nortel also believed in training and brought in the Kellogg School of Management to provide training programs.

ConsNumerous layoffs and rumors of layoffs put a damper on both morale and productivity. It was hard to plan budgets or schedules when you didn't know if your team or your project would be around in six months. When I was laid off, Nortel promised separated employees that it would pay salaries and provide benefits for several months into the future. But after it filed for bankruptcy, the pay and benefits disappeared, leaving everyone in the lurch.

Additionally, most Nortel employees were online working from home each evening. This practice was expected and pervasive. Work/life balance was hard to achieve.

Once a market mover, could not come out of downturn due to scandals, wrong strategy

Technical Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Nortel Networks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Was a great company to work for. People would retire… Cons: The high valued acquisitions of late 90's and the tech bubble burst changed it… Advice to Senior Management: Company went bankrupt in Jan 2009, so this section is… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Death of an Industry Giant

Senior Sales Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Nortel Networks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Great place to work with many smart inovative people. Good… Cons: Executive churn and mismanagment caused the downfall of this company. Late… Advice to Senior Management: to late now No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Nortel Networks.

Worked for Nortel Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nortel Networks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nortel Networks CEO Chris Ricaurte. All reviews posted anonymously by Nortel Networks employees.