Great people, ahead of its time in many ways, unfortunately poor management at the top lead to bankruptcy.

Former Employee - Global Vendor Manager/Strategic Sourcing Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Global Vendor Manager/Strategic Sourcing Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Nortel Networks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Remain friends and large network of former co-workers.

Cons

Unfortunately no longer in business.

Other Reviews for Nortel Networks

Unfaithfull to their contractors/contract obligations.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Nortel Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stayed away from me and let me work. My contract had me working onsite at a fortune 500 corporation and they were very happy with my work, so Nortel Mgt had no reason to bother me.
    6 month contract extended three times into two full years.

Cons

Nortel Enterpise Operate was contracted to provide onsite services, they sub-contracted through a technical staffing company. After a couple of contract extensions they made me switch to a different staffing company which made me go through crap to get hired through the new company because their standard contract was so assinine that I would not sign. I made them rewrite 17 points of the contract or I would not continue the successfull work I was already onsite and doing. They had to cave, but how stupid. Then, Nortel Enterprise Operate never told the orginating staffing company what was going on and abanded them, and me to tell them I was no longer working for their company.
    When the contract for the client finaly did end, Nortel provided me with no support in finding another position within the organization.

All are gone and/or merged into AVAYA.

Opportunities to stretch

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Richardson, TX

I worked at Nortel Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best aspects of working at Nortel was the culture of giving opportunities for growth and achievement. I experienced it myself and saw it applied to others -- if you expressed your career interests, such as leading a team or directing a project, leaders would find ways to help you. Nortel also believed in training and brought in the Kellogg School of Management to provide training programs.

Cons

Numerous layoffs and rumors of layoffs put a damper on both morale and productivity. It was hard to plan budgets or schedules when you didn't know if your team or your project would be around in six months. When I was laid off, Nortel promised separated employees that it would pay salaries and provide benefits for several months into the future. But after it filed for bankruptcy, the pay and benefits disappeared, leaving everyone in the lurch.

Additionally, most Nortel employees were online working from home each evening. This practice was expected and pervasive. Work/life balance was hard to achieve.

There are newer employer reviews for Nortel Networks.

Worked for Nortel Networks? Contribute to the Community!