There are newer employer reviews for Nortel Networks

Long Career that funded a great lifestyle, college education and wedding for my daughter

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Nortel Networks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Payed well and was big enough to allow a variety of career experiences that created very good employee mobility. It was a terrific place in the 90s and the learning environment was dynamic and challenging.

Cons

Towards the end, the whole company got into bunker mentality and became more and more internally focused. This is the point at which many customers wanted other options. It was also very political in the core. We had a great reputation as firefighters. That's because in a crisis, all the organization BS was set aside and we focused on the task. After the crisis, we reverted to type.

No longer relevant.

433 Other Employee Reviews for Nortel Networks (View Most Recent)

Great workplace

Former Employee - Product Support  in  Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Product Support in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Nortel Networks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging work environment, always something new to work on

Cons

Constant layoffs, upper management only in it for themselves

Do not be so greedy

Unfaithfull to their contractors/contract obligations.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Nortel Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stayed away from me and let me work. My contract had me working onsite at a fortune 500 corporation and they were very happy with my work, so Nortel Mgt had no reason to bother me.
    6 month contract extended three times into two full years.

Cons

Nortel Enterpise Operate was contracted to provide onsite services, they sub-contracted through a technical staffing company. After a couple of contract extensions they made me switch to a different staffing company which made me go through crap to get hired through the new company because their standard contract was so assinine that I would not sign. I made them rewrite 17 points of the contract or I would not continue the successfull work I was already onsite and doing. They had to cave, but how stupid. Then, Nortel Enterprise Operate never told the orginating staffing company what was going on and abanded them, and me to tell them I was no longer working for their company.
    When the contract for the client finaly did end, Nortel provided me with no support in finding another position within the organization.

All are gone and/or merged into AVAYA.

There are newer employer reviews for Nortel Networks

Worked for Nortel Networks? Contribute to the Community!