Nortel Networks

Good bye Nortel....

Former Employee - Member of the Scientific Staff in Richardson, TX
Former Employee - Member of the Scientific Staff in Richardson, TX

I worked at Nortel Networks

Pros

Best Reasons: Opportunity to move into different positions within the company. Rewarded for work on special projects. Laid Back environment.

Cons

Massive Layoffs since 2000. The employees that were recently laid off prior to backruptcy recieved no severance. There were too many layers of management.

Too many layers of management. Too many acquisitions that did not add value to the company. Failure to merge with other players when concolidation occured.

450 Other Employee Reviews for Nortel Networks (View Most Recent)

Review of Nortel

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Nortel Networks

Pros

They did give great benefits, and promoted a good work/life balance. If the brass didn't run the company into bankruptcy, I would've enjoyed a very long and successful career there. Started off with 3 weeks PTO, and they shut down for the Christmas holiday, so you really got 4 weeks right when you started. Benefits started on day 1 of employment.

Cons

I wish I could've been there before the bankruptcy was eminent. It really seemed to be a great place to work. The people were all very nice and helpful, and they had a lot of good things going on. However, the brass seemed to care more about lining their own pockets when they saw the ship sinking than trying to save the company, which I think is really too bad.

Be honest and straightforward. I know sometimes you have to say the company line and act like everything is going well and things are getting back on track, but you knew for months this was going to happen, and you simply kept up the positive speak when you knew nothing was going to happen.

Disassembled

Former Employee - Director in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Richardson, TX

I worked at Nortel Networks

Pros

Before the fall, it was a great place to work with talented people. Benefits were good and pay was competitive. Leadership is always a mixed bag, but low and middle management not too bad.

Cons

Going bankrupt. Hiring outside execs that handled the situation poorly.

Think of all the people you put out of work.

There are newer employer reviews for Nortel Networks