North Carolina State University

There are newer employer reviews for North Carolina State University

Grad student teaching assistant at North Carolina State University

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

NCSU is huge and offers a lot of opportunities. It also has a lot of connections to the real world, and I've heard that job placement is good. I appreciate how flexible my program is with its class offerings and qualifying exams. They seem realistic too, in terms of having a balance between a personal life and academics.

Cons

I have a small salary, which makes finances tight, but that's typical of being a teacher's assistant.

277 Other Employee Reviews for North Carolina State University (View Most Recent)

Graduate Student

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance as a graduate student is very flexible and is largely dictate by the advisor's personality and work schedule. In my case, my advisor was very hands off and did not require strict hours so long as I produce results in a timely manner.

Cons

Work can be tedious and time consuming. And often overtime (50+ hours/week) is required to obtain results. Given the level of compensation, this seems a bit extreme.

Wasteful Spending, Stereotypical State Workers

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Raleigh, NC

I worked at North Carolina State University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are students and scholars that come make contributions in spite of the systemic waste.

Cons

Bloated bureaucracy, wasteful spending, too many cowardly, overpaid provosts. There are a few programs that border on being pure diploma mills. There are more than a few people who solely exist to protect their status and position. My immediate supervisor insisted that reports be falsified to boost our statistics. There is always a push to try to spend your budget before the end of the fiscal year so that monies are not returned to the State coffers. This stubborn ignorance that causes people to refuse to return unused monies is draining our government. Liberal agenda is too often forced down your throat. Is happens in every department. Politics at its worst.

Spend a minute in the real world.

There are newer employer reviews for North Carolina State University