Graduate Student

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance as a graduate student is very flexible and is largely dictate by the advisor's personality and work schedule. In my case, my advisor was very hands off and did not require strict hours so long as I produce results in a timely manner.

Cons

Work can be tedious and time consuming. And often overtime (50+ hours/week) is required to obtain results. Given the level of compensation, this seems a bit extreme.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Outstanding supportive working environment, educational culture values creativity

Current Employee - Associate Director Sponsored Programs in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Director Sponsored Programs in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Professional treatment of staff in support of faculty. Recognition of accomplishments.
    Opportunities for advancement in several specialties of administration. Location is excellent in a dynamic culturally diverse community that is growing and active. Excellent public school system so far.

Cons

Compensation tied to state government, which provides little stability or independence regardless of contribution to the overall mission. State government does not appreciate the value of investing in education at any level. Reductions in support are masked by political claims and grandstanding while the youth suffer a more demanding job market.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting for independence in management of the the state's finest university.

Wasteful Spending, Stereotypical State Workers

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Raleigh, NC

I worked at North Carolina State University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are students and scholars that come make contributions in spite of the systemic waste.

Cons

Bloated bureaucracy, wasteful spending, too many cowardly, overpaid provosts. There are a few programs that border on being pure diploma mills. There are more than a few people who solely exist to protect their status and position. My immediate supervisor insisted that reports be falsified to boost our statistics. There is always a push to try to spend your budget before the end of the fiscal year so that monies are not returned to the State coffers. This stubborn ignorance that causes people to refuse to return unused monies is draining our government. Liberal agenda is too often forced down your throat. Is happens in every department. Politics at its worst.

Advice to Management

Spend a minute in the real world.