Amazing department

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Assistant Director in Raleigh, NC

I worked at North Carolina State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Working with a team who value all types of diversity, not just race - Feeling like you are actually making a difference in the lives of students/staff/faculty

Cons

- Salary and work life balance are low depending upon which office you work in, however administration is understanding of employee's needs and will work to find a compromise

Advice to Management

Pay equity across departments is needed

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Overall a great quality of life work environment

Current Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Information Technology Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will make more in private but the quality of life and work-life balance are great. Can be a wonderful place to work.

Cons

Insecure, negative people love to make others around them miserable. Often managers are peons with long titles beside their names.

Advice to Management

Would greatly benefit from manager's who manage people and know their people better. We struggle finding a balance between those who care (many appear to not) and those who are unprofessional and extremely difficult to work with or for.

2. A good place to be a civil servant

Current Employee - Director of Educational Technology in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Director of Educational Technology in Raleigh, NC

Pros

NC State has heart. We do great things for tomorrow's leaders, and we do them well. I'm lucky in that I started here young and have had ample growth opportunity. I'm not sure the situation is as good people who tend to job hop a lot.

Cons

Mostly compensation. When I started here, below average salaries were balanced by the academic environment, however, more and more this place becomes like a business, except for the salary part. I will say that if you manage to stick it out for the full 30, the retirement compensation is pretty darn decent.

Advice to Management

Find ways to reward quality people beyond raises (which the state system makes difficult). Titles, access to professional development, creating new positions with more responsibility are all great to recognize strong workers.