There are newer employer reviews for North Carolina State University

This is a great place for a graduate student to work and study!

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Your graduate education is fully paid for, and the experience is extremely valuable when looking for a job after graduation.

Cons

The hours can be somewhat long at time. Additionally, the demands can be quite stressful, depending on who your advisor is.

N/A

261 Other Employee Reviews for North Carolina State University (View Most Recent)

Graduate research is not standardized at all.

Current Employee - PhD Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My work life is largely dependent on my PI's whims or ideas. Sometimes he leads me in the right direction or I spend a few months going around in circles. I can show up and leave whenever I feel like as long as my PI likes me and thinks I'm working hard.
    I can employ undergrads as free labor and they can make it look like I'm working very hard. You can drop a Ph.D. program after 3 years and essentially be handed a paid M.Sc..

Cons

Work can be very monotonous and completely useless. Your PI may decide what you'll do for the next 5 years whether you like the subject or not. 3 years in he could change it because it's not working out and put you on something better or worse. You could be stuck learning a technique that is no longer relevant to the world or doing research that will never be read.
    Personally, I found the post-doc intolerable. My work was dictated by this person because my PI is never around (I meet with the PI once every couple of weeks or so). I've been slapped and berated by the post-doc to the point where I don't feel as confident as when I started.
    If your PI lost funding, don't plan on going to any conferences or doing research that requires funding. This can a huge problem if you're planning on networking or getting a job after graduating.

Find a PI that is willing to work alongside you toward a common, discussed goal. Be sure the PI actually cares about your growth as a student and a person and not simply a paper.

A great place to do science.

Current Employee - Research Associate Post Doc  in  Kannapolis, NC
    Current Employee - Research Associate Post Doc in Kannapolis, NC

I have been working at North Carolina State University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment, awesome staff. There are a lot of really smart people to interact with and to discuss one's research. The buildings are not only aesthetically pleasing, but contain top notch lab equipment and computer resources.

Cons

Job is grant-funded, i.e., temporary. There is no support for continued career opportunities, which makes the situation very frustrating: Nothing like having to apply for a job every year.
    Paperwork. Lots of paperwork to get anything approved.

A bit less bureaucracy would be greatly appreciated. Just because this is a state university does not mean that it has to run like a state agency!

There are newer employer reviews for North Carolina State University

Worked for North Carolina State University? Contribute to the Community!