North Jersey Media Group

www.northjersey.com
  www.northjersey.com
There are newer employer reviews for North Jersey Media Group

Could be doing so much better, but not nearly enough.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rockaway, NJ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway, NJ

I have been working at North Jersey Media Group

Pros

I guess I need to think a bit to find some pros.

I take pride in what I do at North Jersey Media Group, despite the negative feelings I get when I walk in. I want the products to shine. I usually get good feedback from people at a similar job level, but feedback from anyone higher up is few and far between.

I get along with a number of co-workers, and we do our best to keep the mood light.

Cons

Unless you work with the daily papers or the magazines, you don't exist in the eyes of senior management.

Room for advancement is extremely limited. No link between the various divisions, or real emphasis to help employees move up and further their career goals.

If you are not a favorite of your manager, good luck! The atmosphere here reminds me a lot of high school.

Communication is poor, both on a department-wide scale and company-wide. How is the company doing as a whole? How are we doing as employees? What short-and long-term changes are being made to our department? Information is not shared. The Marketing department took over the company newsletter, which is now mostly filled with advertising and marketing initiatives and "grammar tips of the day." This resource would be better spent spotlighting great work (not just on the advertising side), providing information on the company, etc.

Questions or concerns raised to management are not always addressed; we are made to feel like we shouldn't be asking questions, receive a short answer or no response at all.

A "President's Award" was hastily created just this week to give a one-time $1500 bonus to a manager. Meanwhile, many of us worker bees are struggling to live and commute here in northern New Jersey. The $500 employee referral bonus program was discontinued two or three years ago.

Treat every employee fairly. Show them that they are a valued member of the team. Treating some employees better than others for no good reason builds resentment amongst the other employees and contributes to a poor workplace.

Do a better job communicating with employees in all departments. How are we doing? What's next? I realize this is a private, family owned company, but you owe it to each and every one of us to make sure we know that we have a place to work every day. We are a communications company. Communicate better.

Follow the guidelines of continuous improvement and the department's mission statements. These seem to have fallen by the wayside in recent years.

Human resources could do a much better job opening communication with other employees. Those of us who want to contribute feel we have no avenue to do so.

21 Other Employee Reviews for North Jersey Media Group (View Most Recent)

Stepping stone at best. Move on as quickly as you can.

Current Employee - Staff Reporter/Copy Editor  in  Fair Lawn, NJ
    Current Employee - Staff Reporter/Copy Editor in Fair Lawn, NJ

I have been working at North Jersey Media Group

Pros

The only good thing I can think of about working for North Jersey Media Group Inc. is you are allowed to make your own schedule. Outside of making your own hours, I can't think of a single thing good about this company.

Cons

- Horrible pay. With the exception of the top brass, no one in the company has gotten a raise in over four years.
    - Even though you make your own hours, due to meetings at night, your hours are often 9 - 3 and 7 - 11. Moreover the company does a more than lack luster job at paying back transportation costs of going to and from work related meetings and events.
    - There is no room for internal company advancement.
    - There is no push within the company to bring its print medium digital.
    - Senior leadership view employees as replaceable.
    - There is no communication between daily/weekly editions. Furthermore, on a regular basis the daily branch steals stories and leads from the weekly editions. Information sharing within the company is non-existent.

- Push the publication into the digital world.
    - Make it possible for internal advancement.
    - Do not use the weeklies as the dailies picking post.
    - Update internal software more often.
    - Offer a better pay scale.
    - Do not treats employees as expendable. If that were to happen, employees might care more about the advancement of the company and their own career within it.

Not a terrible place to work

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  West Paterson, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in West Paterson, NJ

I worked at North Jersey Media Group

Pros

They opened the door for me and gave me a chance to develop my skills in sales and account management. I was very lucky in that when I was ready to advance, there happened to be openings in the next step up in my division, however I know others who have stagnated in lower positions waiting for something to become available. If you're a reporter and aspire to the Dailies, it will *never* happen for you if you begin in the weeklies.

Cons

Not all sales territories are created equally, you're expected to carry a LOT of products in the weekly division - weekly papers, special sections, daily papers, magazines, direct mail, internet, northjerseydeals, coupious, special publications, plus whatever else they decide to throw your way. It can be a lot to pitch in a limited territory

My immediate manager was usually very understanding and supportive, however when its crunch time and you're off budget things can get very stressful.
    I don't think there are enough team building activities - there's very low morale in a lot of places that could be solved by a company picnic or some other fun group activity, but it seems once management decided christmas parties were too expensive no one cared to come up with a more cost effective way to maintain morale.

There are newer employer reviews for North Jersey Media Group

Worked for North Jersey Media Group? Contribute to the Community!