North Orange County Community College District

www.nocccd.edu
  www.nocccd.edu
There are newer employer reviews for North Orange County Community College District

Fiscally Conservative District Surviving without Layoffs

Former Employee - Professor in Anaheim, CA
Former Employee - Professor in Anaheim, CA

I worked at North Orange County Community College District

Pros

New and Refurbished Locations
Dedicated Staff are Always Trying to Help Students and One Another
Preserved Positions and People when Possible
A Caring Board of Trustees

Cons

Few Advancement Opportunities
Classes and Terms being Reduced
Benefits haven't improved in 20+ years
Distance Education Program is Not a Priority at the District Level

Make better use of what each site does and centralize when it makes sense. Right now there is too much animosity between Cypress, Fullerton and SCE for real collaboration to take place.

3 Other Employee Reviews for North Orange County Community College District (View Most Recent)

I'm Math tutor in Fullerton College since 2010

Current Employee - Math Tutor in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at North Orange County Community College District part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with NOCCCD because of my higher GPA, especially in Math and engineering classes. In addition, I gain a lot experience how to communicate with people

Cons

there is no cons with NOCCCD

Overly bureaucratic and siloed. Toxic culture. Improving in some areas as previous management dies/retires.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I worked at North Orange County Community College District full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Worked in the Information Services department several years ago. I'm posting this review as their are significant things perspective employees should know about. The previous management team was mostly homegrown talent that came up through the ranks. Few had any real management training and they typically led through fear and intimidation. There are still lots of these folks left throughout the District. The new management team (in Information Services) improved things dramatically but sadly the changes came mostly after I departed. Lots of paid vacation and flexible work schedules. Helping students is very satisfying. I would never go back to work for my previous managers, but the new managers in the department are an excellent group that anyone would enjoy working with.

Cons

Under previous management NOCCCD was very siloed and management was much more concerned with controlling and expanding their influence instead of serving the students and staff. Every new initiative/project was viewed through the lens of "how does this threaten me" or "how can I use this to my advantage." Changes in the management team (due to retirements) brought in new blood that dramatically transformed the culture in the department I worked for.

Salaries are on the low end for IT professionals.

It's very easy to "hide" at a place like this by doing the minimum and "flying below the radar." This can be very demotivating and create some very bad habits that won't serve you well elsewhere.

Management is simply not held to account by anyone. There was a manager at Cypress College who was so bad virtually their entire team had requested a lateral transfer to ANYWHERE else. The team lost one great member after another yet upper management failed to react and behaved as if they were unaware or indifferent to this failed manager. Management is absolutely paralyzed and mostly dysfunctional. Each department varies, of course, so make sure you get a good feel for who you'll be working for and talk to the team members. There are some fantastic folks to work for, and some real horrible ones. Ask about the department culture, management, etc. Sadly, this lack of good management often results in new hires who are more interested in slacking off than they are in being challenged.

Do not treat managers life they have a lifetime appointment. Establish meaningful metrics and goals at all management levels and hold management accountable for performance. Strictly limit the amount of time a manager can spend doing ancillary activities like serving on committees so they are focused on their actual jobs.