NorthPoint Solutions

www.northps.com
  www.northps.com
There are newer employer reviews for NorthPoint Solutions

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at NorthPoint Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company has many great clients so you have a great chance to be on the interesting projects. Great atmosphere. Good pay.

Cons

None really. But you need to make sure you understand that this is a consulting company so you don't have a constant office and its location changes on project basis. Also your consulting skills are almost equally important as strictly technical ones.

15 Other Employee Reviews for NorthPoint Solutions (View Most Recent)

It's the best place to work you've never heard of.

I have been working at NorthPoint Solutions

Pros

I've had a lot of great experiences working here. The client list is one of the best you'll find anywhere (New York or otherwise), and I've personally worked on some of the best projects of my career here. I'm constantly learning and I look forward to coming to work a lot more than most people I know. That said, I think the number one reason a CMS developer should consider working here is the overtime policy. If you work more than 40 hours a week and the company can bill for those hours, you are paid for them. It an incentive that keeps project managers honest on estimates and keeps people motivated. It also means the chances of working 12 hour days are pretty slim, which is great for work/life balance, etc.

Cons

I have definitely been assigned to projects that weren't properly estimated and examined before I started working on them. I've also been thrown into situations that were well over my head and I had a hard time getting the help that I needed. That said, most of the other downsides are really just downsides of working in consulting. You don't have a constant office, you may not always like the project you're on, but few projects last more than 3 months anyway.

Good Software Consulting Firm in Media and Financial Services

Former Employee - Software Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at NorthPoint Solutions

Pros

Competitive pay, great atmosphere, and good opportunities. They provide proper training to their entry level employees. Your work experience can vary drastically from client to client and project to project. NorthPoint is supportive and offers guidance to help you succeed.

Cons

Can require long hours and some travel to the client site. The range of projects is vast and the project you are on can be chosen in a somewhat random way.

Need to focus more on knowledge transfer and creating your own software products that you can sell along with support. Their focus on only consulting left them very vulnerable in a downturn. Similar consulting firms have created their own software packages that they sell to their clients with support and customization. These other firms haven't had as many layoffs and NorthPoint in '09.

There are newer employer reviews for NorthPoint Solutions