NorthShore University HealthSystem

www.northshore.org

Mediocrity is not only tolerated, it's celebrated!

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Skokie, IL
Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Skokie, IL

Pros

The salary is above average. Benefits are good. Free parking, and free shuttle bus to Metra. If you're a mediocre employee, you will love working at NorthShore, especially in the I.T. department. If you excel, you'll hate it. You will never be challenged, and your skills will never grow. You'll soon get bored and quit.

Cons

Management embarked on an "employee engagement" program about two years ago. I have yet to see even one tangible outcome from it. They talk about it constantly ("we're working hard to gather your feedback"..."we're formulating a strategy"...), but it's all just talk. They also launched a "customer loyalty" initiative which has driven away most of the talent. Employee reviews are no longer based on competency, productivity, knowledge, and skill. They're based on "service values". What are service values? In the I.T. department, it boils down to this: smile, placate the user, and then call the software vendor. Don't bother knowing anything about your own product because management won't trust your judgment anyway. Managers greatly frown upon anyone who makes waves. I know one employee who got put on a "performance improvement plan" because she complained about something during one of management's own "employee engagement" feedback meetings!

You treat us like three-year-olds. I'm an adult professional with eleven years of experience. Please let me do my job! Get rid of the Service Values. Institute a 360-degree evaluation process, for employees and managers. Hire only the smartest, most talented employees. Stop celebrating mediocrity.

Other reviews for NorthShore University HealthSystem

This was a good experince

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manhasset, NY

Pros

The health benefit package good. The paid time off is great. They will pay for your tution if you are attending a medical related degree.

Cons

Managment could converse with the staff in a different way. Take a different tone while interacting with them. They are buying many other hospitals on LongIsland NY and they feel asif they can convey the mind set if you don't like it leave. Where else can you go when they are buying some many faclilities on the island. It didn't happen to me, however I saw it happen to others.

If you speak to your employees with respect they will bend over backwards for you. Your scrores will go up they will relate to each other better.

So Far So Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

Pros

The benefits are decent. The pay is decent. Despite the economy, we have been fortunate enough to given raises. Glenbrook hospital is growing. My current manager has been more than accomodating while I've been dealing with a death in my family.

Cons

Big push for government money so clerical staff has to treat patients like their in a hotel and bend over backwards. The poor patients are getting bombarded with rounding...the clinical staff has to do it obviously, but so do the secretaries, management, vps, nutriton services, the chaplain....its a bit much and then we are supposed to give them soap upon discharge...

There are newer employer reviews for NorthShore University HealthSystem.

Worked for NorthShore University HealthSystem? Contribute to the Community!