NorthShore University HealthSystem

www.northshore.org

Mediocrity is not only tolerated, it's celebrated!

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Skokie, IL

ProsThe salary is above average. Benefits are good. Free parking, and free shuttle bus to Metra. If you're a mediocre employee, you will love working at NorthShore, especially in the I.T. department. If you excel, you'll hate it. You will never be challenged, and your skills will never grow. You'll soon get bored and quit.

ConsManagement embarked on an "employee engagement" program about two years ago. I have yet to see even one tangible outcome from it. They talk about it constantly ("we're working hard to gather your feedback"..."we're formulating a strategy"...), but it's all just talk. They also launched a "customer loyalty" initiative which has driven away most of the talent. Employee reviews are no longer based on competency, productivity, knowledge, and skill. They're based on "service values". What are service values? In the I.T. department, it boils down to this: smile, placate the user, and then call the software vendor. Don't bother knowing anything about your own product because management won't trust your judgment anyway. Managers greatly frown upon anyone who makes waves. I know one employee who got put on a "performance improvement plan" because she complained about something during one of management's own "employee engagement" feedback meetings!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou treat us like three-year-olds. I'm an adult professional with eleven years of experience. Please let me do my job! Get rid of the Service Values. Institute a 360-degree evaluation process, for employees and managers. Hire only the smartest, most talented employees. Stop celebrating mediocrity.

This was a good experince

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Manhasset, NY

I worked at NorthShore University HealthSystem

Pros: The health benefit package good. The paid time off is great. They… Cons: Managment could converse with the staff in a different way. Take a different tone while interacting with them. They are buying many other hospitals… Advice to Senior Management: If you speak to your employees with respect they will bend over backwards… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

So Far So Good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Glenview, IL

I have been working at NorthShore University HealthSystem

Pros: The benefits are decent. The pay is decent. Despite the economy, we have been fortunate enough to given raises. … Cons: Big push for government money so clerical staff has to treat patients like their in a hotel and bend over backwards. The poor patients… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on NorthShore University HealthSystem.

Worked for NorthShore University HealthSystem? Contribute to the Community!