Northeast Utilities
www.nu.com Hartford, CT 5000+ Employees

Try another utility or energy company; Not here.

I have been working at Northeast Utilities full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNothing positive really.
Initial pay for the area (central CT) may be OK, but lack of opportunity, advancement and raises hurts.
Due to poor economy, not many people are leaving currently but there is much talk about jumping ship when things pick up.
Fortunately, NU is a monopoly so they won't go bankrupt, however, there are many larger firms looking to take over NU and terminating all non-union (management) employees.

ConsPoor "not invented here" management; any change or improvement is unwelcome.
Company has history of layoffs every 5 year or so; people live in fear, as word is passed down to newer employees; always the threat of mergers, which has been going on for nearly 20 years (e.g. Con Edison takeover, etc).
Much of the Company headquarters building is like something out of the 1930s or WWII. Old, dirty, obsolete and broken down.
Favortism abounds.
Promotions and raises are rare.
VERY arrogant managment says "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out".
Even mid-level management is old. May have been here for 30 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement won't be reading this because it's arrogant and doesn't give a darn.

used to be a good place to work, not since April 2012 merger

Internal Consultant (Former Employee)
Hartford, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: = formerly a 'family atmosphere' Cons: - new goal is to cut costs, no regard for… Advice to Senior Management: - the state regulators are not happy and CT State… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

summer accounting internship

Property Tax Intern (Former Employee)
Berlin, CT

I worked at Northeast Utilities as an intern for less than a year

Pros: -learn from the best -given a lot of responsibility within the 12-week period -good pay for an intern and… Cons: -male-dominated environment -interns can be clicky Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Northeast Utilities.

Worked for Northeast Utilities? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northeast Utilities reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northeast Utilities CEO Thomas J. May. All reviews posted anonymously by Northeast Utilities employees.