Northern Arizona University

www.nau.edu
  www.nau.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Northern Arizona University

NAU provides a superb and friendly work environment with supportive faculty and students who are a pleasure to teach.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at Northern Arizona University

Pros

Faculty at NAU will go out of their way to help others and are among the devoted to teaching undergraduates. The students are bright and a blast to teach and very down-to-earth.

Cons

Salaries are significantly lower than other institutions, and the University is cutting back on tenure-track positions due to budgetary reasons.

The leadership needs to maintain a high level of teaching quality even in these tough budgetary times.

77 Other Employee Reviews for Northern Arizona University (View Most Recent)

Morale at institution is low, and human resource policies are oppressive. They get away with murder because they are ed

Former Employee - Policy Analyst in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Policy Analyst in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Northern Arizona University

Pros

Flagstaff is beautiful, and it is wonderful tob live at 7,000 feet elevation. The campus is beautiful, but small and surrounded by two different cemetaries.

Cons

Northern Arizona University is one of only three big employers in the small town of approximately 50,000 to 60,000 people (counting students). It is a Small Town, and after a year you have done everything and met everyone. Management hires for only one year at a time. So if they don't like you, and you don't put in 60 hours a week but get paid for 40 hours a week, they will not rehire you each year. It is hard to purchase a house with this job instability.

Get rid of the one year employment contracts. They are oppresive. Treat your employees with more respect and appreciation. Allow work hour flexibilty

This job is terrible

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Northern Arizona University

Pros

I was able to make my own schedule, there was a coffee shop in my building, and my co-workers were friendly.

Cons

They had unrealistic expectations of how much time a person is capable of working and there was a general lack of funding to maintain equipment.

They need to invest the time and money in good products/ construction up front and avoid all the maintenance issues that disrupt work.

There are newer employer reviews for Northern Arizona University