There are newer employer reviews for Northern Arizona University

My experience was short term, but I did enjoy the work I completed thoughout the semester.

Former Employee - Lab Teaching Assistant in Flagstaff, AZ
Former Employee - Lab Teaching Assistant in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Northern Arizona University

Pros

Individual college departments treat employees very well and are always there to help there employees.

Cons

My personal feeling is NAU as a whole has begun to loose their obligation to its' students.

Advice to Management

Managment within lower levels of the university works well; however, managment between upper levels of managment and the university as a whole will greatly increase the overall quality for students and employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Morale at institution is low, and human resource policies are oppressive. They get away with murder because they are ed

Former Employee - Policy Analyst in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Policy Analyst in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Northern Arizona University

Pros

Flagstaff is beautiful, and it is wonderful tob live at 7,000 feet elevation. The campus is beautiful, but small and surrounded by two different cemetaries.

Cons

Northern Arizona University is one of only three big employers in the small town of approximately 50,000 to 60,000 people (counting students). It is a Small Town, and after a year you have done everything and met everyone. Management hires for only one year at a time. So if they don't like you, and you don't put in 60 hours a week but get paid for 40 hours a week, they will not rehire you each year. It is hard to purchase a house with this job instability.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the one year employment contracts. They are oppresive. Treat your employees with more respect and appreciation. Allow work hour flexibilty

2. This job is terrible

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Northern Arizona University

Pros

I was able to make my own schedule, there was a coffee shop in my building, and my co-workers were friendly.

Cons

They had unrealistic expectations of how much time a person is capable of working and there was a general lack of funding to maintain equipment.

Advice to Management

They need to invest the time and money in good products/ construction up front and avoid all the maintenance issues that disrupt work.