Northern Tool + Equipment

www.northerntool.com
  www.northerntool.com
There are newer employer reviews for Northern Tool + Equipment

Northern Tool is a great place to work, but it's a small company with no room to grow.

Current Employee - Manager in Burnsville, MN
Current Employee - Manager in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment

Pros

Best place I've ever worked for balancing work and real life. When it's time to go, better get out before they lock the doors. From what I've heard, even the distribution centers and corporate offices are the same way.

Cons

It is a relatively small, privately owned company. That means there are very few opportunities for advancement once you hit a manager position. They are there, but they are very rare.

The insurance benefits are about average in coverage, but the rates are significantly higher than other places I worked. I had BCBS of MN at my last job with the exact same coverage. When I started here my insurance costs more than doubled. This year they cut out some life insurance benefits to keep the rates the same. How about getting the rates down to a more acceptable level?

47 Other Employee Reviews for Northern Tool + Equipment (View Most Recent)

ok

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment

Pros

great hours fun place to work

Cons

can be unorganized sometimes clutter

Overall not bad

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment

Pros

Problems handled fairly and quickly. Above average benefits and bonus. Values it's people above all else. It's like working in a big boy toy store!

Cons

Growing company experiencing many "growing pains" . Procedures and software old school. Management expected to take up the slack .Some corporate people have no clue as to what it takes to run a retail store. Plan-o-grams are almost always inaccurate and have to be redone on the fly! Information about obsolete product is poorly communicated. Buyers have no clue what sells in each market and solicits minimal feedback from the store mangers before making purchasing decisions. Then when product doesn't sell, managers have to find somewhere to liquidate this product.

Needs to understand that you can only work managers so much before productivity goes down. Not a solution to problems. Update your infrastructure to get into the 21st century. Don't expect managers to find the solution to the bad buying decisions.

There are newer employer reviews for Northern Tool + Equipment