Northern Tool + Equipment
www.northerntool.com Burnsville, MN 1000 to 5000 Employees

Nice place to work if you enjoy being in a structured environment.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Burnsville, MN

ProsGood location and parking is provided. People in the sales department are general friendly. They have a good 401K match. Though not all are implemented, they accept ideas for further research on how to improve issues and the company.

ConsSupervisors tend to micromanage and the mangers seem to have a hands off approach. One must be very disciplined and stay on answering the phone with no tolerance for even being a few seconds tardy from scheduled shift and break times. Poor handling of prediction of call volumes make it difficult to schedule time off. Required to work a weekend day every other week. Some sales supervisors make it difficult to communicate issues wile others are easy to communicate. Since there are five supervisors/leads (with the ability to instruct and coach) and each has a different coaching advice it can seem confusing on what advice to use from the supervisors and leads to improve. Commission is based on a small percentage of the net margin. Any items sold that are returned (even no fault of the seller), it is deducted from the sellers commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the sales people to engage more in consultative sales. It seems that the emphasis is more on selling Hotline memberships and extended warranties then selling tools and equipment.

Northern Tool is a great place to work, but it's a small company with no room to grow.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment

Pros: Best place I've ever worked for balancing work and real life. When it's time to go, better get out… Cons: It is a relatively small, privately owned company. That means there are very few opportunities… Advice to Senior Management: The insurance benefits are about average in coverage, but the rates are significantly higher than other places I worked. I had BCBS of MN at… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

ok

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment

Pros: great hours fun place to work Cons: can be unorganized sometimes clutter More
There are newer reviews on Northern Tool + Equipment.

Worked for Northern Tool + Equipment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northern Tool + Equipment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Northern Tool + Equipment CEO Donald L. Kotula. All reviews posted anonymously by Northern Tool + Equipment employees.