Nice place to work if you enjoy being in a structured environment.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Burnsville, MN
Former Employee - Sales Representative in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Northern Tool + Equipment

Pros

Good location and parking is provided. People in the sales department are general friendly. They have a good 401K match. Though not all are implemented, they accept ideas for further research on how to improve issues and the company.

Cons

Supervisors tend to micromanage and the mangers seem to have a hands off approach. One must be very disciplined and stay on answering the phone with no tolerance for even being a few seconds tardy from scheduled shift and break times. Poor handling of prediction of call volumes make it difficult to schedule time off. Required to work a weekend day every other week. Some sales supervisors make it difficult to communicate issues wile others are easy to communicate. Since there are five supervisors/leads (with the ability to instruct and coach) and each has a different coaching advice it can seem confusing on what advice to use from the supervisors and leads to improve. Commission is based on a small percentage of the net margin. Any items sold that are returned (even no fault of the seller), it is deducted from the sellers commission.

Allow the sales people to engage more in consultative sales. It seems that the emphasis is more on selling Hotline memberships and extended warranties then selling tools and equipment.

Other Reviews for Northern Tool + Equipment

Northern Tool is a great place to work, but it's a small company with no room to grow.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment

Pros

Best place I've ever worked for balancing work and real life. When it's time to go, better get out before they lock the doors. From what I've heard, even the distribution centers and corporate offices are the same way.

Cons

It is a relatively small, privately owned company. That means there are very few opportunities for advancement once you hit a manager position. They are there, but they are very rare.

The insurance benefits are about average in coverage, but the rates are significantly higher than other places I worked. I had BCBS of MN at my last job with the exact same coverage. When I started here my insurance costs more than doubled. This year they cut out some life insurance benefits to keep the rates the same. How about getting the rates down to a more acceptable level?

ok

I have been working at Northern Tool + Equipment

Pros

great hours fun place to work

Cons

can be unorganized sometimes clutter

There are newer employer reviews for Northern Tool + Equipment.

Worked for Northern Tool + Equipment? Contribute to the Community!