Northern Trust

There are newer employer reviews for Northern Trust

Not a challenging environment

Current Employee - Portfolio Accounting Analyst in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Portfolio Accounting Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northern Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have a LOT of flexibility. Great for family man/woman. Getting fired is near impossible.

Cons

Pay is terrible. Moving up within your department is difficult. They don't get rid of under performing employees. The "training" they offer is a waste of time. I couldn't believe I was paid to train for a month and when I was finally assigned to my team, I was told by everyone on the team to forget what I learned. Northern prides its self in being conservative, but I believe there is a difference between being conservative and being old fashioned. They need to get with the times. I'll finish by saying again that their pay is terrible which is why they can't retain any talent.

Offer better pay incentives. You need to challenge employees more, they are craving it, and with it compensation in return. Ask yourself what kind of culture are you breeding? You pay below the industry standard, you let good talent leave, and don't set the bar very high for those that remain. Looking for a job can be daunting especially if you have a family, but quite the opposite when jobs find you. We live in a time where social media and the internet is making it easier for headhunters and recruiters to find talent within companies

527 Other Employee Reviews for Northern Trust (View Most Recent)

On the decline in this department

I have been working at Northern Trust

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Hours are not family friendly.

It's a conservative bank, what did you expect?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Northern Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

#1 Vacation days, #2 an emphasis on charity and community service, #3 Overtime was very rare

Cons

I have never worked anywhere with so many people just waiting it out for retirement, or with such a cultish deference to management in every aspect of their work life. The pay was not competitive, but then, not much is expected of you. Put all of that together and you get a stifling environment where there are 5 middle managers involved in every decision, with their main criteria being what the manager above them will accept. I constantly felt that my work was mediocre.

Flatten your management structure. If you are going to lay off employees, don't give your CEO 12-17 million pay packages. Strip everyone of their titles and start over again. Give less importance to your suit and your self importance, more to your work.

There are newer employer reviews for Northern Trust