Northern Trust

www.northerntrust.com
  www.northerntrust.com
There are newer employer reviews for Northern Trust

Solid but not great place to begin a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northern Trust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Since it's a big company there are lots of internal opportunities. Networking is great and encouraged; most people in higher positions are willing to speak with you. Great benefits and they treat employees very well.

Cons

Super conservative, all respects (thinking, investing and salaries). They rarely fire anyone, people stay in the same position for 20 years. Very low employee motivation. Raises and promotions can be very political.

Make the better decisions quicker

525 Other Employee Reviews for Northern Trust (View Most Recent)

Not a challenging environment

Current Employee - Portfolio Accounting Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Portfolio Accounting Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Northern Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have a LOT of flexibility. Great for family man/woman. Getting fired is near impossible.

Cons

Pay is terrible. Moving up within your department is difficult. They don't get rid of under performing employees. The "training" they offer is a waste of time. I couldn't believe I was paid to train for a month and when I was finally assigned to my team, I was told by everyone on the team to forget what I learned. Northern prides its self in being conservative, but I believe there is a difference between being conservative and being old fashioned. They need to get with the times. I'll finish by saying again that their pay is terrible which is why they can't retain any talent.

Offer better pay incentives. You need to challenge employees more, they are craving it, and with it compensation in return. Ask yourself what kind of culture are you breeding? You pay below the industry standard, you let good talent leave, and don't set the bar very high for those that remain. Looking for a job can be daunting especially if you have a family, but quite the opposite when jobs find you. We live in a time where social media and the internet is making it easier for headhunters and recruiters to find talent within companies

On the decline in this department

I have been working at Northern Trust

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Hours are not family friendly.

There are newer employer reviews for Northern Trust